Where do Kaerls com from/are Kaerls recruited

HEX the Dark

Where do Kaerls com from/are Kaerls recruited

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello people,

I have a question, and since I don't know where else to ask, so I hope for your wisdom:

Where do Kaerls come from? Or rather, where and how are they recruited?

For those who don't know what they are, they're the PDF of Fenris and servants to the Space Wolves.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Kaerls

Now given the nature of Fenris and how new Space Wolves are recruited, this is quite an interesting question - the normal population of Fenris doesn't really know about the wider universe or so I have gathered.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

WhiteKnight416

Re: Where do Kaerls com from/are Kaerls recruited

Postby WhiteKnight416 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:48 pm

I would assume like all other PDFs they are local conscripts/recruits

While lots of native Fenrisian might be ignorant of the Soace Wolves activities plenty wouldn't be, especially given that Fenris is the only recruiting world for the Space Wolves, not counting recent Primaris infusions

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 pm

That's why I am asking. All the descriptions of native fenrisians I could find was "they're basically vikings living in longboats (more or less), oblivious to anything beyond their planet", but then you suddenly have the Kaarls on space stations and in the Fang.
So yes, logically there must be some tribes maybe that "know" more, or ... I dunno, they breed in the Fang? Are recruited/a tribute by the Leaders of the tribes (would fit the "huscarl" theme)?
Generation old families of Kaerls would be interesting, I admit, but I couldn't find any clear source about that so far.

WhiteKnight416

Postby WhiteKnight416 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Theres likely no definitive answer, with the exception of the Ultramrines there's probably not much to say how any chapter recruits serfs/PDFs etc. Make up something that suits your game

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:53 pm

(everything below is speculations)
As we know something about Fenris, I believe it works this way.
There are warring tribes on Fenris, we know it, and the best of them became Wolf initiates, but there are people who doesn't meet SW requirements. Still, they're warriors and good ones. So when Fenris is under attack (I believe it's quite often, just not every try is recalled in sources we have), some kind of god (Space Wolf) came to the tribe and take a retinue of the best warriors tribe (tribes) can offer. They're used as support warriors for SW line (and dies horribly, I think, but hell, it's a honor enough to fight alongside of the gods!). By Space Wolf Chapter Master capacity as High King of Fenris (so I think he is legal Governor by Imperial law; not something unheared, like Ultramarine Chapter Master being Lord Macragge), they're PDF. If they survive though, it would be foolish and totally un-Wolfish to just return such a good guys into their miserable fold, so they got work in SW ships, stations and Fang (it raises a question how many serves can offer a world with 3.5 millions of inhabitants, to fill every position for the serf in Chapter, but demography never was a powerful side of setting in question.)
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:14 am

The lexicanum says they're (aside of the SWs) the only inhabitants of Asaheim, the continent where the Fang stands.
So... I guess you're right?
Or, as mentioned above, that and the descendants of the former Kaerls and their families.

Return to “Setting Discussion (W&G)”