Webway Exits

Aenno

Webway Exits

Postby Aenno » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:28 am

I never give a big attention to Eldar part of WH, so I have a question: where Webway can be exited?
I mean, I know, to enter Webway you'll need some kind of portal, which are differ in size. Still.
1. Are Craftworld-sized webway portals, well, portals (like continental-size psychobone structures in space), which Craftworld should actually pass, or it's like "wormhole opener" which create new portal ahead of Craftworld and collapse it after Craftworld passed?
2. Do you need a some kind of portal in real space (or somewhere else) to exit Webway?
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

quindraco

Re: Webway Exits

Postby quindraco » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 am

Aenno wrote:I never give a big attention to Eldar part of WH, so I have a question: where Webway can be exited?
I mean, I know, to enter Webway you'll need some kind of portal, which are differ in size. Still.
1. Are Craftworld-sized webway portals, well, portals (like continental-size psychobone structures in space), which Craftworld should actually pass, or it's like "wormhole opener" which create new portal ahead of Craftworld and collapse it after Craftworld passed?
2. Do you need a some kind of portal in real space (or somewhere else) to exit Webway?

1. The former. You could build the latter, but it would be stupidly dangerous, which Craftworld Eldar are notorious for avoiding. An example of the latter that simply accesses the warp, without accessing the webway per se, is a vortex grenade; all you'd need would be one large enough, and designed specifically to enter the webway, to have a device capable of opening a temporary portal to the webway. I am absolutely confident the Dark Eldar have such devices, although they are likely to be so expensive some Archons can't afford them.
2. You can enter and exit the webway without a portal, with the right technology; Eldar Warp Spiders (a kind of Aspect Warrior) exploit this during battle, running over to the enemy in warpspace, then shifting back into realspace.

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am

quindraco wrote:1. The former. You could build the latter, but it would be stupidly dangerous, which Craftworld Eldar are notorious for avoiding. An example of the latter that simply accesses the warp, without accessing the webway per se, is a vortex grenade; all you'd need would be one large enough, and designed specifically to enter the webway, to have a device capable of opening a temporary portal to the webway. I am absolutely confident the Dark Eldar have such devices, although they are likely to be so expensive some Archons can't afford them.

So, it's possible to lock Craftworld in one place, if you just attack not Craftworld itself, but a gate it uses to enter Webway (because this gate is outside Craftworld); and you can make yourself safe from Craftworlds just destroying a big circle in space?

quindraco wrote:Eldar Warp Spiders (a kind of Aspect Warrior) exploit this during battle, running over to the enemy in warpspace, then shifting back into realspace.

As far as I recall Warp Spiders use warp, not Webway. That's why they're counted as too bold for their own good.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

quindraco

Postby quindraco » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am

Aenno wrote:So, it's possible to lock Craftworld in one place, if you just attack not Craftworld itself, but a gate it uses to enter Webway (because this gate is outside Craftworld); and you can make yourself safe from Craftworlds just destroying a big circle in space?

Sort of:

You don't need a gate per se; effectively, you can build the gate into the Craftworld's hull, and when the portal is opened, it's opened around the hull. Then, since the emitter for the portal leaves through said portal as soon as it opens, the portal immediately shuts. I *believe* all Craftworlds have done this - it's just how their built - but I might be misremembering, and they might instead incorporate the other kind of gate, meaning you can use any Craftworld as a beginning or ending, but the world itself can't just traverse.

On the other hand, the Webway has specific access points, which are capable of changing over time (new ones can appear, old ones can vanish, and they can "move" in realspace).

So essentially, it's always up to the GM. You can destroy all the gates you can find in a given area of space, after

The three major wikis you should be relying on for stuff like this are Lexicanum (best at citing sources, but worst at being maintained, for the same reason of it best polices who can edit it); the Warhammer 40K wiki (middle of the road), and 1d4chan (simultaneously the least reliable, since it never cites sources, and the best at being maintained, since there aren't any restrictions on letting fans go in and edit).

Aenno wrote:As far as I recall Warp Spiders use warp, not Webway. That's why they're counted as too bold for their own good.

Fair, I might be misremembering that. They're named after a denizen of the webway, so I could have sworn they used it, but it wouldn't be the first time 40K used inconsistent naming conventions.

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:48 pm

quindraco wrote:You don't need a gate per se; effectively, you can build the gate into the Craftworld's hull, and when the portal is opened, it's opened around the hull.

So that's essentially second question I asked. :)
In a way, it's a question "can you remove Craftworld ability to travel without attacking Craftworld itself".

quindraco wrote:The three major wikis you should be relying on for stuff like this are Lexicanum (best at citing sources, but worst at being maintained, for the same reason of it best polices who can edit it); the Warhammer 40K wiki (middle of the road), and 1d4chan (simultaneously the least reliable, since it never cites sources, and the best at being maintained, since there aren't any restrictions on letting fans go in and edit).

That's what I'm doing usually; but this particular subject wasn't presented when I looked.

quindraco wrote:Fair, I might be misremembering that. They're named after a denizen of the webway, so I could have sworn they used it, but it wouldn't be the first time 40K used inconsistent naming conventions.

That's definitly no. Warp Spiders are some kind of creatures living in Craftworld superstructure, melding with psychobone and working as some kind of "immune system" to defeat low-level intruders.
I believe in later Codexes there was some aspect who used Webway portal makers, but can't recall who exactly.

quindraco

Postby quindraco » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 am

Well, the current Codex certainly indicates that Illic Nightspear, and Rangers in general, use the webway to get into position before a battle starts, but don't use it during battle. Since they've got to be using the webway as their exit strategy as well, that continues to lend credence to the idea that you don't need a gate per se, but you do need to be standing the correct spot in realspace to make the transition, and without a gate, there might not be any obvious indication of where to stand.

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:23 am

That's why I wonder.

There are things like Skathach Wraithknights, who can enter to Webway in the middle of battle, or exit it any time. They have special kind of equipment though, Webway Shunt Generator. And also there is special stratagem, Webway Strike, which implying that exiting Webway "just as that" is possible, but require effort (it takes special resourse and limited to two units at max); it's quite possible that Aeldari set up some kind of portal on the other side. Also some heavy tanks (Storm Serpents) able to be mobile webway portals, and that's implying it actually works like portals. And I still don't understand why Webway Network for Craftworlds, if they use stationary portals, isn't destroyed by every outer force, from Chaos to Orks. Also it's some kind of hard to raid through Webway (and Corsairs do this) until you can enter or exit in any place - your enemies just wouldn't place their trade ways nearly big circle things in space, and maybe just would destroy them. 3rd Edition Dark Eldar Codex also speaks about infantry-carrying webway portals, allowing to reinforce even on field, and this portals are absolutely stable. So it's implying you need some kind of tech to open a hole, and then you can pass through the hole; this tech essentially accessable (even if not extremly scarse).

But there are a lot of mentions about "sealed Webway portals" that prevents people enter or exit, and I recall some mentioning about people who was lost in Webway or locked there. Some sources (Warhammer 40K Wiki for instance) speaks about disadvantage Aeldari have when there is no portal nearby, and speaks about Warpgates "the technology to create them has been lost, intact Webway gates are some of the Eldar's most treasured artefacts". No direct sources though. Also some Codexes gives a map of webway portals, with, like, two dozens in Galaxy; if you can open one at any time with some kind of accessable tech, it's weird.

Return to “Setting Discussion (W&G)”