Writing for the Scriptorium in the face of years of “canon”

Skaye

Writing for the Scriptorium in the face of years of “canon”

Postby Skaye » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:30 am

Hi everyone!

New poster here and newish to TDE. I was incredibly excited when I found out it was receiving a 5th edition in English, and love what I’ve read of it so far (more thoughts and musings in a future post).

I think it’s also fantastic that the Scriptorium opens up Aventuria for each contributor to use as a playground, though I wonder how it fares with so many years of the game behind it.

Specifically I thought it would be interesting to write a gazetteer, delving deeper into a particular region and culture (which I believe is allowed in the guidelines?) but am a little intimidated that I might tread on territory already covered. I know not much has been published in English, so has there been much conflict with what’s been written in German? Does the game base ever have much objection to a new take on an aspect of Aventuria?

Bosper

Re: Writing for the Scriptorium in the face of years of “canon”

Postby Bosper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 pm

People are kinda ...defensive? when it comes to Aventuria, especially since so much has already been written and played and influenced and changed over the years. It all grew quite naturally. The regional supplements go in quite detail, and some regions now got their fourth supplement over the years.
so yeah, its hard to dive into regions without bumping into something that had been going on for 10 to 30 years in adventures, supplements, herald articles etc. There have already been quite a few regional fanzines over the years, which tried to keep away from canon or used it as a static starting point from which their smaller, unknown topics went on into safe, undescribed detail

A paper or gazette would have to be about changes and events in said area, but those changes cant go on for long without reuniting with the canon, and shouldnt change or oppose it for too long, or your version of the region wont be compatible with adventures and supplements in the future, creating some problems for people using it. At least some work for their GMs

Skaye

Postby Skaye » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm

That makes a lot of sense and is much as I feared.

With that in mind though, has most of this content only been released in German or is there a sizable batch of English content covering the same subjects? Should I really start brushing up on my German to publish content for the Scriptorium?

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 am

To be honest: just go ahead and write what you want.
The scriptorium is purely for fan made material, and quite a lot in it already clashes with the canon, either by choice or by accident. But that's not bad - people will take what they want from it, if they like it, for their game or ignore it any other case.
Maybe you're lucky and your idea is good enough to be picked up by someone else, too!

You can of course also just ask here or on FB for more information, of it's necessary for your work.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:41 pm

We'd be happy to help out.

But at the end a simple disclaimer for new GMs would be enough to prepare them that they will have to check if their official material will need adaptation to make it work.

"With that in mind though, has most of this content only been released in German or is there a sizable batch of English content covering the same subjects? Should I really start brushing up on my German to publish content for the Scriptorium?"

Regional information in english is limited to the almanach, quarreling kingdoms and the few adventure modules as the theatre knights campaign released so far. Most info stems from editions 3 and 4 that have not or only in very small bits been translated (and none of that was regional supplements)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 am

Again: The scriptorium is for fan made material.
There are a few things that have been written or translated into english, but most of it is in german.

And yes, the official translation (aka made by the publisher) are what Bosper has listed.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Skaye

Postby Skaye » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 pm

That all sounds promising - thanks for the replies everyone!
Adding the disclaimer makes sense.
I’ll start thinking and tinkering, see what I can come up with.

Return to “Scriptorium Aventuris”