Sales Report

dchart

Re: Sales Report

Postby dchart » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 am

Fifteenth Month, 2/8 – 3/7

12 Perils: 2, 8 Million Gods: 1, Home Front Philadelphia: 2, LibreOffice Templates: 0, Road to Philadelphia: 3

Very similar to last month. Someone gave the templates a one star review, which is slightly mystifying, unless they were expecting some game content...

Anyway, I also released a new product (An Edeinos in Core Earth) today, so we'll see if that has any noticeable effect on the sales of other products next month. I'm rather hoping to see sales of the new product, as well.

dchart

Postby dchart » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:26 am

Sixteenth Month, 3/8 – 4/7

12 Perils: 2, 8 Million Gods: 3, An Edeinos in Core Earth: 10, Home Front Philadelphia: 1, LibreOffice Templates: 0, Road to Philadelphia: 2

Again, broadly similar to last month, so it doesn't look as though the new product had much effect on the sales of the others. An Edeinos in Core Earth also has the worst first-month sales so far, although only by one copy.

I've also released another new product (Spirited Tools) today, and I hope it has a better first month than An Edeinos in Core Earth.

Incidentally, all the art in Spirited Tools is by Dean Spencer. You can find a lot of his art available as stock art on DTRPG, with single-use licenses, and he has a Patreon, which gets you unlimited use licenses for any of his art you have purchased, for as long as you are a patron. Highly recommended, although his art is mostly useful for Aysle and the Living Land at the moment.

EddieParagon

Postby EddieParagon » Wed May 01, 2019 1:57 pm

I love that David started this thread. I would like to share my experience as well, since David's reports prepared me for the reality of selling product in Infiniverse. You shouldn't do it for the money. ;-)
I started selling my adventure "Apex Predator" on April 1st. After one month I have sold nine copies.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27 ... x-Predator
Infiniverse Exchange Author
Apex Predator - Avert the Cartoon Apocalypse In This Adventure for Torg Eternity
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27 ... x-Predator

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Holy smokes, that Dean Spencer is something... fantastic. I've saved his page and, if I have the ability or desire to write another adventure, I may just purchase something from him.

As for sales and what-not, I was NOT aware that Ulisses Spiele has not done a whole lot in the way of marketing, whether for the company OR any of their products. Can we do ANYTHING to help them with that?

dchart

Postby dchart » Wed May 08, 2019 4:02 am

Seventeenth Month, 4/8 – 5/7

12 Perils: 1, 8 Million Gods: 0, An Edeinos in Core Earth: 1, Home Front Philadelphia: 1, LibreOffice Templates: 0, Road to Philadelphia: 2, Spirited Tools: 9

A new record for lowest sales in the first month!

Looking at my sales, the one star review of the templates does appear to have completely killed sales on that. If someone has found them useful and would care to leave a five-star review, with actual comments on their usefulness, it would be interesting to see what effect that has. I do have more ideas for things to write, but given the sales, they are unlikely to happen unless and until they push up to "must write this now!" level.

I'm glad that people have been finding these posts useful; realistic expectations are extremely helpful. Getting nine sales when you were expecting something around ten is not a shock. Getting nine sales when you were expecting a hundred… Rather harder to live with.

I don't think Ulisses Spiele has so much as mentioned the Infiniverse Exchange since it launched, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people didn't know about it. The main marketing push for Torg Eternity is the Kickstarters; they are very effective marketing campaigns as well as ways of raising money. If things continue like this, however, I suspect that the Infiniverse Exchange will die.

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Wed May 08, 2019 8:58 am

The trouble is, and I think we players and GMs have to start pushing hard on Ulisses Spiele to use some of that mass of money they've been getting for each Kickstarter they've done, thus far, for actual marketing. The problem with the vast majority of businesses, especially in the United States, is whomever starts them has an awesome idea for a company, and then they wonder why it dies within five years of starting the business. It's called ADVERTISING!!! The Ulisses group NEEDS to get out there and get some interviews going, get some previews and reviews written, and get their names out there. I've been pushing to get advertising going. You said Kickstarters are "very effective marketing campaigns" and, well, I just cannot agree with that. The marketing gets around to communities and individuals who love Torg, but the Kickstarters themselves have to be marketed around to those who DO NOT KNOW Torg, at all. I cannot overstate how important it is to market, market, market!!!

You also said something about expecting only ten copies to be sold and selling nine isn't too bad of a blow, but only selling four when you're expecting 100, or only selling 5, like me, when I was expecting AT LEAST 250 copies to be sold, WITHOUT MARKETING, is just damn sad. With the numbers in the high-hundreds and low-thousands for Kickstarter backers, I would have figured I could easily have gone to that number.

Finally, and this is getting back to the marketing... Ulisses Spiele NA is taking 50% of the covers for work they don't do. Now, I expected them to take 80%, so their rules concerning royalty payouts and what-not is awesome, and the fact they put together the Infiniverse Exchange to begin with is a massive step forward for game developers who cannot catch a break, anywhere else. However, BECAUSE they're taking 50% for FREE MONEY, sane people would think it would be a point of operation for Ulisses Spiele to MARKET ALL of their products, doing a separate pass for each line once per month!!! The importance of marketing CAN NOT BE OVERSTATED!!!

The Basic Kickstarter brought in 2,282 backers and $355,992 when they were only asking for $8,000, which is a 44.5 times as much as they were expecting.

The Living Land Kickstarter brought in 1,310 backers and $217,024 when they were only asking for $20,000, which is still nearly 11 times what they were expecting to bring in.

The Nile Empire Kickstarter brought in 1,234 backers and $201,263 when they, again, asked for $20,000, or 10 times what they needed.

The drop in backers and money taken in, the increase in minimum amounts of money for producing the magnificent products they have, etc., should have seen a LOT of red flags raised right away. Red flags are NOT just for bad things, but they can be signals that, unless you work for your success, that success will go away. They brought in 44 times the amount of money they were asking for in the first Kickstarter, and had they taken just 15% of that money, just $53,000 to start bugging role-play reviewers and what-not -Kurt Weigel's program only reaches so many folks, after all- to do reviews... had they sent out some free copies to others for the sake of previewing and reviewing, etc., I think they could have brought in four times the amount of money from the initial Kickstarter, and then they would have had more money for the sake of more Marketing, and they would have had higher numbers, not lower, on subsequent Kickstarters.

Come on, Ulisses, you have an amazing product you should be VERY proud of, and you need to get word OUT THERE to other folks. Get those folks from Exploring the Storm to build some videos, on spec, AND PAY THEM for doing so, and then get those videos on all of the role-playing web sites and tabletop gaming channels, etc. Why in the hell have they not gone to the Nerdist? Why haven't they touched Geek and Sundry... those freakin' channels have hundreds of thousands of viewers, for pete's sake.

I'm going to see my wife off, so this is a perfect time to end my little rant.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:21 am

dchart wrote:Looking at my sales, the one star review of the templates does appear to have completely killed sales on that. If someone has found them useful and would care to leave a five-star review, with actual comments on their usefulness, it would be interesting to see what effect that has. I do have more ideas for things to write, but given the sales, they are unlikely to happen unless and until they push up to "must write this now!" level.

Sadly Infiniverse authors cannot rate other Infiniverse products.

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:Sadly Infiniverse authors cannot rate other Infiniverse products.
Yet another reason to get marketing efforts going immediately, should have been from the first Kickstarter. I know I'm going to get push-back over this because people are going to say "Kickstarter's are expensive to run and do, and getting out the materials to everyone is expensive, and paying the writers and artists and formatters and editors and, and, and, is very expensive..." Do you know what's MORE expensive than all of that? NOT TAKING MONEY TO MARKET YOUR PRODUCTS!!!

With the superior quality of products produced by USNA and the extraordinary fervor of the core fan base, ALL of their games could be top-ten sellers. The problem is, USNA is NOT EVEN ON THE FRICKIN' LIST of sellers!!! Torg Eternity is ART, all told, and it's languishing in collector's basements, unseen and unloved by all but those already in the know.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed May 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Hm? Ulisses Spiele is in the Publishers list on drivethru's front page. Their top titles are all Warhammer 40k related (the Torg Eternity rules are #14 as of this writing), which makes sense - Warhammer is hugely popular all over. Torg was a weird, niche game back in the 90's and the sequel to such a thing probably has an even smaller audience. There's much more competition these days. Also, where does one advertise anymore? The glory days of Dragon magazine as an industry-wide RPG periodical are long past.

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Really?! You're going to defend their LACK of marketing? Do you want MORE of the games you love from this company? Do you want them to succeed? Or, are you the guy that always says, "Meh."?

I found quite a few places I could market to just by opening my browser and trying some keywords in my one little search engine.

Oh, and your TOCG page is heavily compromised; fix it.

Return to “Infiniverse Exchange”