House Rules

Necanthrope

Re: House Rules

Postby Necanthrope » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:18 am

house rules :
- the first 3 adds in skills cost 2
- each new spell/miracle/psi costs 3 XP (flat cost)
- the perks in the same catégories only cost 5 (new dragon armor or ion Gusoku enhancements, bulletsmithing, alchemy - nut not medals!!)
- the increasing cost of perks stops at 15 (no more)
- slight changes to weapon damages

- might put survival and tracking together.

all of the rest exactly as is, as it looks very very good.. I find the fluff extraordinary, the crunch matters a lot less.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Disfavored
The GM may rule that circumstances make a roll Disfavored. The effects of this condition are:
  • If the roll would otherwise be Favored, the character can't apply Favored to the roll.
  • If the roll would not have been Favored, an initial die roll of 10+ is discarded and rerolled. This could cause a Mishap if the replacement roll is low enough.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Rabbitball wrote:Disfavored
The GM may rule that circumstances make a roll Disfavored. The effects of this condition are:
  • If the roll would otherwise be Favored, the character can't apply Favored to the roll.
  • If the roll would not have been Favored, an initial die roll of 10+ is discarded and rerolled. This could cause a Mishap if the replacement roll is low enough.

That sounds kind of unfun, and since the GM sets the DC anyway Im not sure its necessary.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

There's a method to the madness. I'm not sure I want to discuss it now, but for those who need it, I posted it.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 am

I think one house rule I'll have is for the extra effort when PCs combine their skills. I see often in D&D where a helper rolls a better result than the primary person. This seems like it can be even more frustrating in Torg since the helper could roll Outstanding while only adding a +3 to the primary character. This could still even fail, and that bugs me.

So I did something different in tonight's game. I had all combining PCs make a skill roll. I took the highest result as the primary. Then I looked at how well the others did and then figured out how many "helpers" the primary had in terms of the many-on-one bonus. I think it works out.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 am

Summarised SFX-System

Now I have put my thoughts together from some small posts on different topics to a complete set of house rules. I posted this on rules discussion but it fits here as well

Problem: TorgE magic, miracles, Psi powers (and to some extent Pulp Powers), in short SFX, have not the depth I loved in oTorg, while in oTorg it was much too complicated for many players (especially spell creation)

As it stands now, I will probably house-rule the problem away for my regular groups (while playing it strict by the rules at cons) and tell my players that it is due for change when with the Aysle SB Ulisses comes up with something better.

My house-rules for SFX will probably be:
1) magic spells, psi-powers and miracles are cheaper to buy, they are subcategories of the relevant Perks (for easy reference I put it again on the bottom of this post).

2) magic still has backlash but it is not taken by the mage. He has to make deals with forces of nature that will take the backlash for him (in game terms these are arcane knowledges that cost no XP but he has to really speak and negotiate with the forces). On a Mishap or when the force is in some way taken out of the picture, the backlash goes to the mage instead. For easy reference, I call all arcane knowledges forces of nature, though I will have to come up with special rules for the mixed forces and true knowledge.

3) a mage can build named spells in which he ties the spell to a name and an object. When he has the object and uses the name, the backlash goes into the object which could break the object (each gets a magic toughness that is derived from its physical toughness and its spiritual relevance). The object could also be a place or house for mighty spells.

4) I take the original Torg spells (as I am not interested in balance at all) and the masterbook SFX creation system, maybe I will have to tweak a bit with damage, backlash and DN

5) spells can be written down in scrolls, these not only include the spell itself but also a secret that was used to bind a force of nature to this spell, with this knowledge, anybody who has the relevant arcane knowledge (knows how to negotiate with the force of nature) can cast from the scroll or book but the force of nature might get interested in this up to now irrelevant person who knows its secrets.

6) A mage who wants to develop his own spells will have to astrally travel to the realm of the relevant force of nature which will become an adventure in itself. In these realms the magic axiom is much higher, so spells created there will be 4-case in Aysle.

7) Magic on the fly is basically asking a force of nature to build an instant spell for the mage. He needs a very good standing with this force of nature to do this (or a very high leverage on the force, f.i. "by the force of the Eye of Agamotto I command thee").

8) No cantrips. Instead what oTorg had as cantrips are age-old deals done with forces of nature. They come with a price of course. The people have to fulfill their side of the deal (give a small offering of every meal to the forces of nature f.i.). So there are a lot of superstitions that are routed in age-old deals.

9) Miracles are a different form of this magic system. Instead of negotiating with forces of nature, the priest relies on his deity to do this for him. He needs a good standing with his god to do so and this is measured in devotion points. As a GM I give or take devotion points based on how the priest acts. When he asks his god for a miracle he doesn't have, he makes a faith roll and it costs him 1-3 devotion points, depending on how severe the wish is. The god will intervene directly or indirectly based on the success levels. If no miracle happens, the priest has a moment of crisis.

10) Psionics and Pulp powers are good the way they are but I am looking into oTorg material for what I can salvage. Some in oTorg are clearly overpowered, but a lot can be used in TorgE. I am toying with a skill "power training" but am not that comfortable with it yet.
post scriptum: Martial Arts could be a part of a powers system but I am still not confident with some thoughts I have on this. I would like to tie it into this SFX system in some way.

Intent: more spells, miracles, powers to chose from from the beginning of the game. An easy-to-use system for all SFX while allowing for complexity in the game and still maintains the difference between the different SFX.

Sideffect: I tried to combine the rules changes with as many opportunities for adventures and roleplaying as possible

Subperks

I will sort Perks into groups. The overlying Perk is treated as normal for aquiring Perks, the underlying are bought with 3 XP each.
F.i. Overlying Perk: Faith, underlying: conviction, lay on hands, protected, spirit bane, miracles (each miracle being an underlying perk all by itself)

Intent: in oTorg SFX-wielder had lots of SFX. In TorgE they are limited to only a handfull, a mage has access to only a handful of spells, a priest can use only a handful of miracles. While this may be OK for starting characters, it diminishes the potential of these characters. I want to give them more scope by that.

Sideeffect: I probably will make it cheaper to buy miracles, spells etc when learning them out of a book or from a teacher (probably 1 XP per spell)
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Adding another:

Distance in Dramatic Skill Resolution for Chases

Distance is no longer determined by the difference between steps on dramatic skill resolution. Distance between hunter and prey will be up to the GM as per normal vehicle combat, depending on the vehicle speed, environment, and skill checks made by characters attempting to increase or decrease range. The chase will end when one side reaches step D, regardless of distance.

Intent: I think it's difficult to describe chases when distance is determined by the difference between steps in dramatic skill resolution for chases, and it does not allow for a lot of narrative scenes I'd like to describe, such as two cars right next to each other toward the end of a chase.
Last edited by Gargoyle on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:48 am

I am still trying to avoid the bonus chart. I have tried various mechanics to closely mirror the curve of the chart but I have at the moment as house rules are these.

Target numbers
The target numbers need adjusting for my die roll to work, plus I hate applying negatives to players. Add 10 to all target DCs. On character sheets, I add those directly to the defences so there is less 'at the table' math. E. G. A dodge will be 18, not 8.

Die roll
Roll d10+d8, read the bonus directly, e. g. Add them up add that's your bonus. On a 1 on the d20 and 4 or less on the d8, you get a mishap. Auto fire mishaps are on the usual number {1-4) and 4- on the d8. On a 10 and 5+ on the d8, you get a bonus. Roll a bonus D6, exploding as usual. If you are trained, you roll a bonus die on any 10, regardless of what the d8 rolled.
Good and Outstanding results are worked out as usual.
Possibilities, hero cards, etc., let you roll additional bonus D6.

Damage
Bonus die are applied as usual. Damage is the result points/2 round up, wounds are result points/5 round down.

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am

I'm going to use higher of spirit or strength for defeat (and drop the related perks), drop injury, and let 20+ take one action before dropping. I don't want things quite that deadly.

Either play with a double destiny deck, or limit cards in pool+ hand to 8.

Max starting stat 11, only one +3 skill, and learning a new skill at 1 costs 2XP. I'm twitchy about starting skill points with disparate xp values.

I'll wait until we've played some to add more.

mjb691

Postby mjb691 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 am

I'm thinking about making the XP cost of enhancements to existing perks cost a flat 5 XP, while taking a wholly new perk costs the escalating number of XP discussed in the book. In other words, taking the Spellcaster perk as your first new perk after the initial two at character creation costs 5 XP and gives you three spells; taking this perk again costs 5 XP and gives you an additional spell; taking the Resilient perk costs 7 XP (because it is a new perk). Whereas, under the current rules, it would be 5, then 7, then 9.

I feel like this is a more modest fix to the issue (or potential issue) that many in this thread are discussing--it seems too hard and too costly to put together a decent list of spells/miracles/psychic powers. I worry about just handing out more powers because (1) there just aren't that many of them in the book, and so characters will quickly have all the relevant powers for their cosm (which removes player decisions) and (2) you raise the spectre of powered characters having solutions to every problem, which plagues many RPGs. On the other hand, it seems hard to build a decent spellcaster especially, given the fact that there are four magic skills to juggle as well.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”