House Rules

Gargoyle

Re: House Rules

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 am

Gargoyle wrote:Adding another:

Distance in Dramatic Skill Resolution for Chases

Distance is no longer determined by the difference between steps on dramatic skill resolution. Distance between hunter and prey will be up to the GM as per normal vehicle combat, depending on the vehicle speed, environment, and skill checks made by characters attempting to increase or decrease range. The chase will end when one side reaches step D, regardless of distance.

Intent: I think it's difficult to describe chases when distance is determined by the difference between steps in dramatic skill resolution for chases, and it does not allow for a lot of narrative scenes I'd like to describe, such as two cars right next to each other toward the end of a chase.

They've reworded this section a bit indicating the penalty is not only about distance, so it it makes more sense in the narrative; as a result I'll probably not need this one.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:27 am

Rocketeer wrote:Back Blast:
The Back Blast area is a conical zone extending 15 meters from the back of the weapon. Consider this a Medium Burst Area attack with a damage value of 13.

Please forgive my ignorance on heavy armaments, but is the back blast of a bazooka really so severe that it will kill a normal unarmored human standing 15 meters behind it?
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:04 am

I think so, yes.

Please have a look at this wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backblast_area
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 am

DerHuthmacher wrote:I think so, yes.

Huh, well, that's what we get for watching movies. We miss out on important details like this.

I envision hand-waving this a lot for the cinematic feel.

But I'll keep in mind that any ordinary human within 50 feet behind a bazooka is likely killed. I may apply that as a Setback or an appropriate cosm card. Thanks for the info.

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Please forgive my ignorance on heavy armaments, but is the back blast of a bazooka really so severe that it will kill a normal unarmored human standing 15 meters behind it?

When I did my military service back in the 90s, we got some minimal training with pansarskott m/86 (sold internationally as the AT4). We were taught that the backblast was very dangerous, mostly because of the hot gases rather than the force. Breathe in the rocket exhaust and you're going to have a very bad (and probably very short) day. The thing is that these weapons use a recoil-less design - but the counter force still has to go somewhere! I also remember being taught not to hold the weapon against my cheek, because that would result in severe burns.

A relatively recent development is the AT4 CS (Confined Space), which has a load of salt water or similar substance to the rear of the weapon, which absorbs a lot of the back blast thus making it usable indoors. That would definitely be a tech 23 development, though.

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Kuildeous wrote:

Huh, well, that's what we get for watching movies. We miss out on important details like this.

Yes, back blasts are generally ignored in cinema.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gBackblast

However, in my current gaming group, some players would just assume back blast rules exist and would treat the weapons accordingly, perhaps sometimes even trying to use the back blast to their advantage.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Although it does seem reasonable that heavy weapons at Tech level 24 and higher will routinely have soft launches to eliminate this problem. Sound plausible?

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 am

Kuildeous wrote:Although it does seem reasonable that heavy weapons at Tech level 24 and higher will routinely have soft launches to eliminate this problem. Sound plausible?

While soft launches help reduce the back blast, they don’t eliminate it. For a cinematic version of a soft launch back blast, see the Stinger Missile scene from”True Lies”.

Here are some other options and suggestions.

The PIAT, was a WWII (Tech 20) anti-tank weapon that launched a projectile using a spigot mortar type system. There was no back blast, but there was a large recoil. Also, the weapon had a short range, was inaccurate, and the warhead often failed to detonate.

The Armburst and Matador (Tech 22 & 23) launchers use counter-masses to mitigate the back blast, which allows the weapons to be used in more confined spaces. However, there is still a danger area directly behind the launcher. I would suggest a danger area extending 2 meters behind the launcher, Medium Burst, and Damage 12 attack. Others within the confined space would get a Stymied condition.

For my games, I’d say that Pan-Pacifica (Tech 24) would have some launchers that greatly mitigate, but do not completely eliminate the back blast. Maybe a 1 meter danger area, Small Burst, Damage 10 attack.

Due to the Law of Pain, a launcher from Tharkold (Tech 25) would likely have “harmful” side effects. These effects might not include a back blast, but could potentially be harmful to bystanders.

The Cyberpapacy (Tech 26) will likely have heavy weapons that can be used without risk to the firer or bystanders.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 am

Rocketeer wrote:The Cyberpapacy (Tech 26) will likely have heavy weapons that can be used without risk to the firer or bystanders.

Probably a hybrid Gauss launch system.
Missile accelerates out of the launch tube via gauss tech and then, once clear, rockets fire and the projectile glides towards its heretical target with nothing but God's will to direct it (oh and the really high tech fly by wire laser guidance system).

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

Kuildeous wrote:

But I'll keep in mind that any ordinary human within 50 feet behind a bazooka is likely killed. I may apply that as a Setback or an appropriate cosm card. Thanks for the info.

I won't be using this, as backblast isn't a thing in movies, and I don't see any reason why an action-movie universe or its invaders should, either. YMMV.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”