Perk Tree: Gun Kata

User avatar
Gargoyle
Posts: 1730
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Perk Tree: Gun Kata

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:
ProfessorK wrote:Just a comment... if this is the Gun Kata as created by the movie Equilibrium, then the focus on attack is odd as the use of the Kata in that movie was primarily defensive.


Well, it's TORG. For a game with an option called "Active Defense," most players seem to like to hit things.

:lol:


Agree, and passive perks aren't really fun in actual gameplay, IMO. But counterpunching is pretty cool though too, so I could see something like a perk that allows you to get a free attack when an Active Defense works, would fit the theme. Could see a Ki power perk like this for melee/unarmed as well.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

User avatar
MalicWanderer
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Perk Tree: Gun Kata

Postby MalicWanderer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Maybe a perk that lets you multi action an active defense when defense is approved? (if I'm remembering correctly that you normally can't multi action defense.)

User avatar
Kuildeous
Posts: 1376
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Perk Tree: Gun Kata

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:Maybe a perk that lets you multi action an active defense when defense is approved? (if I'm remembering correctly that you normally can't multi action defense.)


This is true.

I think rather than making an exception to that rule, perhaps it can give you a Flurry, but one of the actions must be Active Defense.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

User avatar
MalicWanderer
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Perk Tree: Gun Kata

Postby MalicWanderer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 am

Kuildeous wrote:I think rather than making an exception to that rule, perhaps it can give you a Flurry, but one of the actions must be Active Defense.

Personally I prefer multi action, just because it creates more of a choice and doesn't add an extra die roll. With the flurry variation there's no reason to ever not active defense when it's approved, you're guaranteed at least a +1 to all defenses and a chance at a card if anyone misses you & you get to do whatever you would've wanted to do instead at no extra cost. Whereas with the multi action penalty there's at least a cost.

I'd also accept a perk that just said "You get +1 to all defenses whenever defense is an approved action." Covers the minimum numerical bonus of the free active defense, but without the additional shot at even higher bonus, free chance at a card, and additional die roll. Maybe even a +2?

Really I don't see any reason the two couldn't coexist.

Another possibility for defense oriented gun kata perk, if this wasn't already said I don't remember the whole thread right now: let them use fire combat for melee defense. Of course that and the +1 are both passive.

mystic101
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Perk Tree: Gun Kata

Postby mystic101 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Gargoyle wrote:But counterpunching is pretty cool though too, so I could see something like a perk that allows you to get a free attack when an Active Defense works, would fit the theme. Could see a Ki power perk like this for melee/unarmed as well.


Doesn't the Ki power "Block Strike" already allow this? It lets a character make an immediate follow-up melee attack whenever someone misses that character in melee. Using an Active Defense makes the block/striker even harder to hit, and so should trigger the follow-up attack even more. Heck, throw in the Indomitable perk too, to make the roll favored.

I'm picturing a Pan-Pacifica martial artist moving forward to base a group of zombies, declaring an active defense, and then going to town on 'em when they inevitably attack. "Block Strike" has an unarmed skill requirement, but doesn't say that the counterattack has to be one. Bonus gore points if the melee weapon they counterattack with is a chainsaw . . . :)

User avatar
Gargoyle
Posts: 1730
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Perk Tree: Gun Kata

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 am

mystic101 wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:But counterpunching is pretty cool though too, so I could see something like a perk that allows you to get a free attack when an Active Defense works, would fit the theme. Could see a Ki power perk like this for melee/unarmed as well.


Doesn't the Ki power "Block Strike" already allow this? It lets a character make an immediate follow-up melee attack whenever someone misses that character in melee. Using an Active Defense makes the block/striker even harder to hit, and so should trigger the follow-up attack even more. Heck, throw in the Indomitable perk too, to make the roll favored.

I'm picturing a Pan-Pacifica martial artist moving forward to base a group of zombies, declaring an active defense, and then going to town on 'em when they inevitably attack. "Block Strike" has an unarmed skill requirement, but doesn't say that the counterattack has to be one. Bonus gore points if the melee weapon they counterattack with is a chainsaw . . . :)


Yeah, I forgot about Block Strike, and the wording allows it to be used with Active Defense or not, so it's actually pretty well done.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle


Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests