My favorite tool for Hardpoints

Scaramouche

My favorite tool for Hardpoints

Postby Scaramouche » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 am

Picking Hardpoints can be a highly subjective exercise. Considering there aren't many in the core rules (which is completely understandable; it's something best left for the cosm guides), it's something any of us have to contend with when running Torg.

So how to be slightly more systematic when picking Hardpoints - rather than just picking what pops to mind? And this is important because if we just pick the first thoughts, well, we get lots and lots and lots of religious centers (*cough* India *cough*). Too many.

Well, it turns out the UN already has a way of selecting universally significant places around the world - the UNESCO World Heritage site!
(https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/)

I wouldn't turn EVERYTHING on the list into a hardpoint, but each entry provides logic and a summary and is SUPER useful. And immediately you can see a wide mix of potential sights. The Serpent Mounds in the US, Fatehpur Sikri in India, the Engelsberg Ironworks in Sweden. These are interesting Hardpoints, and allow for a less stereotyped or generalized view of those places.

It's very helpful for me, and hopefully helpful for you all.

TorgHacker

Re: My favorite tool for Hardpoints

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 am

I also used tourism websites for the various nations.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm

I was walking in uptown Charlotte (though us older natives like to still call it "downtown") and noticed Spirit Square and Discovery Place (science museum) were across the street from each other. Since every kid in the area has been there multiple times and the theme of it seemed both technological and cultural, I was thinking this block would make a good hardpoint. Also there is currently a dinosaur exhibit at the museum, which would be entertaining to run across.

So I dunno, I just sort of look for something that locals would know and that scream "Core Earth" to me for whatever reason.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Scaramouche

Postby Scaramouche » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I also used tourism websites for the various nations.

Also a fantastic resource! What I like about UNESCO is that it provides a rationale, which satisfies my categorizing brain.

Big Lurker

Postby Big Lurker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I like to use Google Maps. Just zoom in on a city or area and see what pops up without prompting...

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:23 am

New top 10 of heritage sites maps out the history of England

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... _clipboard
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 am

Big Lurker wrote:I like to use Google Maps. Just zoom in on a city or area and see what pops up without prompting...

Though it was funny to zoom in on the location where Kali Station Gone Dark was set and see that there's actually a whole town and beachside properties all over the spot where it takes place :D

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Yep, been using UNESCO for years. It's such a great resource to learn about other countries history and culture.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”