Favourite W&G rules

Wightbred

Favourite W&G rules

Postby Wightbred » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:26 am

I’m finding it easy to focus on discussing online the one thing I am concerned about in W&G (that we are already resolving by house rule) rather than the many, many things I love about the game. I also really want this game to succeed, as I’m excited to see what the expansions will bring. Anyone else up to highlight what they see as the positive innovations and features?

One thing I really love is the initiative system. It’s so simple to understand and use in play, but it really gets our whole group focussed on the action. I’ve already stolen this to use in my D&D 5e game, using Inspiration to seize the initiative instead of Wrath / Ruin.

Lynata

Re: Favourite W&G rules

Postby Lynata » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am

In general, I think the best feature is the streamlining of the rules. It doesn't go quite as far as I would have liked, but it's a massive improvement to previous products that makes the game both easier to learn as well as easier to modify, in terms of adding your own ideas without fear of breaking something else down the line. Secondly, of course that the entire system is finally a universal ruleset that aims to allow all sorts of campaigns set in the IP, rather than having a laser-focus on specific factions.

In terms of specific rules, I think what I like most right now are the Reload mechanic, and how they've tied Acts of Faith to Shock. Clever, and thematic! Ascension is also great in principle, just needs a couple more options to pick from (which I'm sure will come with later supplements).

These are impressions based only on studying the book, mind you. I still did not have the opportunity for a proper game, so it's possible that I will discover more things I enjoy once seeing the rules play out in practice.

mrwonx

Postby mrwonx » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:56 pm

From a player standpoint - I love the exalted icons. In other systems - you roll really well to do something - there's just one effect. I get to chose how and what the dice do. A terrible roll can be dealt with by spending points, and the whole dice system (though I know it's not everyone's cup of tea) really helps put the control of the scene more in the players hands.

As a GM - the mechanics in place to nudge players into thinking in terms of roleplaying instead of just roll, damage, is nice. Rewarding players for RP'ing gives players that sometimes aren't great at building the character, but good at playing them, and fighting chance, while getting that player who struggles to RP, methods in which they can ease into it.

But mostly - I like simpler rules so that I can talk my friends into roleplaying in the 40k universe (talking them into Dark Heresy was like pulling teeth). I have several friends who love the lore, but can't afford to play 40k. But they can afford a Roleplaying book and single mini, and get to finally feel like their part of the larger 40k universe.

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:56 pm

My dear sir, this thread is a brilliant idea! Here are my top three:

1.) Mob Rules: my players love combat, but the minutiae can get very tedious; not so in W&G! Mass combat was never so easy and the story relevant PCs and NPCs remain in the focus. I love it!

2.) Interaction Attacks: they encourage players to find or create story elements that can be used to their advantage in combat and ensure that every skill set can contribute

3.) Objectives & Wrath: I made the experience that many times players stop to invest in the actual role play of their characters, especially in combat situations, when it does not add a benefit mechanic-wise. Why bother with the depiction of your Comissar always humming the same Hymn while fighting heretics, when it does aboslutely "Nothing" apart from adding to the atmosphere? I therefore have always tried to encourage it through some form or another, which more often than not made me torture my brain how I could reward the roleplaying. Alas, if a good idea comes to mind, I can still implement it, but if it would interrupt my flow, I can hand out Wrath so that the player does not feel left out for her performance. (Also, some of my players like "Points 'n stuff", maybe I should hand out little stickers for their char-sheets, too :lol:)
Courage and Honour!

Wightbred

Postby Wightbred » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:00 am

Lynata wrote:In general, I think the best feature is the streamlining of the rules. ... In terms of specific rules, I think what I like most right now are the Reload mechanic, and how they've tied Acts of Faith to Shock. Clever, and thematic! ...

mrwonx wrote:From a player standpoint - I love the exalted icons. ... As a GM - the mechanics in place to nudge players into thinking in terms of roleplaying instead of just roll, damage, is nice. ... But mostly - I like simpler rules so that I can talk my friends into roleplaying in the 40k universe ...

Ilias Bethomael wrote:1.) Mob Rules ... 2.) Interaction Attacks ... 3.) Objectives & Wrath ...

I definitely agree with all of these!

I was admiring the stat blocks for threats the other day. Very much like the simple ones I used to write for Shadowrun years ago.

Also loving the ability to play serious 40k and lighter 40k (ShadoWanG!) with the same system. It feels like you can play 40k straight, and the glorious parody of 40k that is Squats and dancing space marines.

But my favourite thing right now is the potential of more sourcebooks. Usually I’m not big on additional books, but I cannot wait to see what other options the team come up for W&G.

Wightbred

Postby Wightbred » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:42 am

Just wrapped up our first campaign. We had a ball. Rules allowed us to skip across large actions and zoom down to single attacks beautifully. A few inconsistencies in the rules, but once we had those in hand the rules blended beautifully into the action.

Anyone else finished up a campaign?

RevenantBob

Postby RevenantBob » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 am

I like the complications. I like when that 1 pops up. It makes the sessions much more flavorful for RP. The Wrath die is a great system.

I have a lot of complaints, but overall I think Wrath & Glory is much better than previous 40K games. I never enjoyed the percentile dice.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (W&G)”