Wakshani

Re: Balanced Party

Postby Wakshani » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:31 am

IMHO, and drawing from oTorg?

1) Combat person
2) Social person
3) Thinky person

Repeat from the top as more are added.

The reason for this is that the fighting position always needs to be taken (Even Encyclopedia Brown had a bodyguard!), the social role is *usually* more common since interaction with NPCs is high in Torg, and the thinky person being there to solve puzzles is needed, especially in, say, the Nile, but you can usually get around it to some degree. (There's a whole lot of buttons on the console. Which one do you push? …. I grab the chair and smash the whole thing!)

The Rule of Three is a classic one... Flash Gordon (combat), Dale (social), Dr. Zharkov (thinky)

You can mix it up a bit with spell people/miracle workers, but as long as you follow the rule of 1-2-3, you'll get a balanced group.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:07 pm

I think that's a really good rule of thumb. I'm actually embarrassed I never thought of it that way before. I guess I was stuck in the DnD party of 4 mentality for too long.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:49 am

A nice rule of three, easy to remember.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 am

As a bonus, Flash Gordon reference for Nile Empire representation. :)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 am

Flash Gordon has always been one of my favorites. Talk about a movie that needs a reboot.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:20 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Flash Gordon has always been one of my favorites. Talk about a movie that needs a reboot.

My theory on reboots is that it's always pushed by someone who loved the original as a kid, and now that movie executive is in a position of power to make it happen.

Which pretty much means if it's older than say, 40 years old, the odds of a reboot are significantly lower.

Now, that doesn't mean it can't happen because said childhood might have included re-runs or such and so it might be 50 years old. (e.g. Lost in Space)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:Flash Gordon has always been one of my favorites. Talk about a movie that needs a reboot.

My theory on reboots is that it's always pushed by someone who loved the original as a kid, and now that movie executive is in a position of power to make it happen.

Which pretty much means if it's older than say, 40 years old, the odds of a reboot are significantly lower.

Now, that doesn't mean it can't happen because said childhood might have included re-runs or such and so it might be 50 years old. (e.g. Lost in Space)

I think it's more to do with "We need to write a script fast! What can we recycle?"
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Sometimes it’s because the rights are going to expire and they have to use them or lose them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashcan_copy
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:17 am

The existing Flash Gordon movie is pretty much perfect in and of itself. I mean, it cuts away 90% of Flash stuff but who cares? It's AMAZING.

Now, that said, I would shank a dude in a heartbeat to be a showrunner for a Flash TV series. Well, a real Flash series, not a SciFi "Who needs ships when you have portals!" abomination. There's some *awesome* visuals that have never been tapped, boatloads of lore and, again, you can't go wrong with the 1-2-3 set of primary antagonists.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”