Magic I - Kickstarter

Bosper

Re: Magic I - Kickstarter

Postby Bosper » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:12 am

a lot. The casting styles really make mages experts in their respective fields. (not only mages but every class included)
More damage, less cost, higher chances of success etc, then you got the new possibilities to improve your staff in various directions, either giving it active abilities or passive bonusses to castin.
The introduction of the banning blade, especially interesting for summoners and anti-demon mages alike.
And of course more spells and special abilities for active /passiv improvement

Magic 1 turns mages from "kinda ok allrounder " to " expert" . You really will have to focus on one kind of magic, but it will pay off

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Let me quote "Das Schwarze Auge" on Facebook (official Facebook channel):
Jens Bergmann: Wie läuft's eigentlich in Amerika?

Das Schwarze Auge: Da organisieren wir gerade um und planen im Frühling noch ein Crowdfunding.

Jens Bergmann: Das Schwarze Auge das hört sich irgendwie nicht so toll an :cry:

Das Schwarze Auge: Es lief etwas langsam, darum machen wir es jetzt besser. Also 2019 wird ein gutes Jahr für das Englische DSA.

or translated:
Jens Bergmann: How about USA?

Das Schwarze Auge: We're just regoranizing and planning a next crowdfunding in spring.

Jens Bergmann: That sound's not that good :cry:

Das Schwarze Auge: It has been slowed down a bit, but we're doing better now. 2019 will be a good year for the English TDE.

Brooding Paladin

Postby Brooding Paladin » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the info on Druids, gang. I have Warring Kingdoms, but I have only scanned it thus far. Still, is sounds like Magic 3 will be worth the wait!

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Brooding Paladin wrote:Still, is sounds like Magic 3 will be worth the wait!

Just to be clear, the druid spells I listed in my previous post are in Magic 1.
Magic 3 won't have that many new spells (because there were already so many in Magic 1 and 2).
Magic 3—for druid players—has 2 pages of druid tradition background information (though the English translation is usually 1/3 shorter), five different druid professions, new rituals, druidic spellcasting styles (like combat styles in the compendium), a new druid tradition artifact (the druid's sickle) and more ;) .

Robert Cousland

Postby Robert Cousland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Great to see the flurry of activity, all the positive energy and helpful information. Thank you one and all! :D
In War, Victory. In Peace, Vigilance. In Death, Sacrifice.

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:51 am

Bosper wrote:a lot. The casting styles really make mages experts in their respective fields. (not only mages but every class included)
More damage, less cost, higher chances of success etc, then you got the new possibilities to improve your staff in various directions, either giving it active abilities or passive bonusses to castin.
The introduction of the banning blade, especially interesting for summoners and anti-demon mages alike.

Magic 1 turns mages from "kinda ok allrounder " to " expert" . You really will have to focus on one kind of magic, but it will pay off

Can you explain the « banning blade » ??

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 am

Dany40 wrote:
Bosper wrote:a lot. The casting styles really make mages experts in their respective fields. (not only mages but every class included)

Can you explain the « banning blade » ??

Its another traditional artifact for guild mages. It can be improved with blade spells, just as staff spells improve the staff. They usually focus on destroying, banishing or summoning magical creatures.

Almost all magical traditions will end up with more than one traditional artifact. Witches will have familiars and a cauldon, druids will have a sickle and a dagger, jesters will have a toy and a hat etc etc Mages will have access to staff, blade and crystal ball

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm

GuernseyMan

Postby GuernseyMan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:52 am

It's not surprising that TDE is taking second place. Look at the Kickstarter history and it's quite clear that Torg Eternity is a more popular line.

TDE - 4 Kickstarters $293,972 and 3,243 total backers
Torg - 3 Kickstarters $774,279 and 4,826 total backers

For fewer Kickstarters they've raised more than two and a half times the income with Torg than with TDE. Also the average spend on the Torg line is about $160 per pledge as opposed to $90 per pledge. Far more efficient use of resources when each individual customer is spending more.

No matter how impatient I am for more TDE content to be made available in english we have to remember that Ulisses North America is a business. As such it will, and should, follow the most lucrative line of business.

I've got all of the published books at the moment and I find that it is a perfectly playable game. There's enough content to keep my group going for a while. If no more is forthcoming then I'll houserule what I need to.

wilcoxon

Postby wilcoxon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:24 am

GuernseyMan wrote:It's not surprising that TDE is taking second place. Look at the Kickstarter history and it's quite clear that Torg Eternity is a more popular line.

TDE - 4 Kickstarters $293,972 and 3,243 total backers
Torg - 3 Kickstarters $774,279 and 4,826 total backers

For fewer Kickstarters they've raised more than two and a half times the income with Torg than with TDE. Also the average spend on the Torg line is about $160 per pledge as opposed to $90 per pledge. Far more efficient use of resources when each individual customer is spending more.

No matter how impatient I am for more TDE content to be made available in english we have to remember that Ulisses North America is a business. As such it will, and should, follow the most lucrative line of business.

I've got all of the published books at the moment and I find that it is a perfectly playable game. There's enough content to keep my group going for a while. If no more is forthcoming then I'll houserule what I need to.

I agree it makes business sense but it's disappointing to me. I backed the first Torg Kickstarter for nostalgia sake but I was disappointed that they did not change the mechanics more from the original clunky WEG version. I am far more interested in TDE (I've been at least curious since I first heard of DSA in the late 80s) and was very happy that this time there was promised ongoing support for English (and they are delivering on that - I'm just impatient).

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”