Reload Clarification desired

Lynata

Re: Reload Clarification desired

Postby Lynata » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Ilias Bethomael wrote:I'd say page 273 takes precedence, because it is a clear statement with regards to the mechanics of reloads, whereas the Complication's meaning for the mechanics of relaods is merely implied.
I on the other hand would apply a combination of Ockham's Razor and the definition of the term. A Reload is something you consume to reload your weapon. Thus, after a Reload has been expended, the weapon is re-loaded, and can be used until a Complication is triggered.

If it were otherwise, we'd end up with the weird consequence of a character spending an action to reload their weapon, only for the gun to remain useless and the ammunition vanishing into thin air because their Reload counter ticked from 1 to 0. ;)

Mossback wrote:I can see the utility of using the Facebook page, as more people are likely to see responses there if they follow Ulisses. But I like the forums as they are more easily searchable.
I feel like it's weird timing to shift from forums to Facebook now, considering the change in social media trends. And I'm sure I'm not the only member of the target demographic who started avoiding that platform lately.

USNA Jason Peck wrote:Nonetheless, I've kicked this particular issue to the developers and hope to get a specific ruling ahead of the FAQ. I hope to have a better answer for you soon.
Ah! Can you also get us the previously teased verification concerning grenades using Reloads, while the topic is being discussed?

Personally, I'd prefer if grenades would just serve as "unlocks" rather than using both a separate pool and Reloads. Less tracking that way, and it's more consistent with how Reloads function in terms of auto-refreshing -- whereas I take verispex' answer to mean that whilst Reloads do refresh, and you can use Reloads as grenades, newly refreshed Reloads can not be used as grenades when you don't start the game with at least 1 "physical" grenade. I'm sure you can see why that sounds needlessly complex. :D

Best of luck getting settled in, and thanks for your responses here!

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 am

USNA Jason Peck wrote:...to try and make sure I can get as much as possible addressed in said FAQ. Nonetheless, I've kicked this particular issue to the developers and hope to get a specific ruling ahead of the FAQ. I hope to have a better answer for you soon.

Anything on either of those fronts or Lynata's own question?

For that matter we still haven't heard anything from Ulisses in the way of announcements other than the book finally getting to flgs.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:51 am

USNA Jason Peck wrote:.

For that matter we still haven't heard anything from Ulisses in the way of announcements other than the book finally getting to flgs.

Still not heard much of anything. Heck we didn't even hear about the website going down so they could make a new one.

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 am

Thendoctor wrote:

Still not heard much of anything. Heck we didn't even hear about the website going down so they could make a new one.

This is getting nowhere. I can't possibly fathom the decision making process at USNA's especially with regards to the community. But it feels like...

Courage and Honour!

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Ilias Bethomael wrote:This is getting nowhere. I can't possibly fathom the decision making process at USNA's especially with regards to the community. But it feels like...

I mean, no one's keeping you here?

But it is incredibly frustrating that not only did they recently hire someone to handle community interaction, but that they...well aren't.

I can't imagine they don't want to, so I'd suspect they just aren't being given enough to actually interact with.

With the website getting a makeover I wonder if explicit forums are being created there, through which Jason would be the head of, and then they can retire the entire Ulisses forum (germany did such a thing I believe in lieu of keeping facebook).

But there's nothing else for me to do besides try to engage the devs as best I can. I've poked here, I've poked what devs there are on here, I've posted on facebook, there's not much else to do. If they have plans we aren't being told, likely, then there's quite literally nothing that will get an answer over here from them.

We as consumers simply don't know enough about what's going on. Which is a problem unto itself, but still.

I doubt it's a matter of not caring.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 am

Trying on the forums again.

VicWeave

Postby VicWeave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:43 pm

The Complication part says it may cause loss of a Reload. If you have no reloads left your out of ammo. There is no contradiction present, it simply restates that if you have no reloads, you're out of ammo.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 am

VicWeave wrote:The Complication part says it may cause loss of a Reload. If you have no reloads left your out of ammo. There is no contradiction present, it simply restates that if you have no reloads, you're out of ammo.

No, it's not, look at the *exact* wording here:

On page 273 it states that "If a character is out of Reloads, their weapons are out of ammo and cannot be used to make ranged attacks."

On page 220 it states in Complications: "If the character has no Reloads remaining, then such a Complication means that the character is completely out of ammunition, rendering a weapon unusable until more ammo can be located."

It's a matter of interpreting (as I stated in my question) when you've used your last Reload mechanically are you out of ammo, or do you have ammunition until you roll a complication that would use a reload that no longer exists?

The wording isn't clear enough.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 am

Another shot.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:02 pm

So, I talked to the main man himself, Ross Watson, among a few things he had this to explicitly say about Reloads:

"The intention is that when a character has no Reloads remaining, the character is completely out of ammo. You cannot fire a ranged weapon without ammunition."

So, there's our answer.

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”