Cantrips and QL

Schlake

Cantrips and QL

Postby Schlake » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't understand cantrips. The core rules tell me that cantrips always have a QL of 1, cost 1 AE, take 1 action, and do not require a check. With strong cantrips they have a QL of 2. In the new magic book, extremely strong cantrips are QL3, and are automatically successful.

If a base cantrip doesn't require a check, but two special abilities are needed to make them automatically successful, how do you know if a cantrip has failed?

Masterful cantrip could further push a cantrip up to QL6.

I don't see any cantrips that have any QL related effects or durations. So what would have a QL6 cantrip do for a person?
--Schlake

bluedragon7

Re: Cantrips and QL

Postby bluedragon7 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:11 pm

The higher the QL the less easy anti magic can get rid of a cantrip.

I imagine with cantrips being an rather easy way to impress others, some magicians might take enjoyment to embarrass other by dispelling the cantrips.

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 pm

That's doesn't seem that likely either. Cantrips don't do enough or last long enough that I think they would be worth the effort to dispell.
--Schlake

Dyvim

Postby Dyvim » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:02 am

Cantrips are not really worth the effort to dispel but this notion of QL for cantrips is only here in case someone wanted to dispel one...
So the special abilities that strengthen the QL of cantrips are not really useful but they are also really cheap...

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 am

Yup, thats it.
They can be quite useful in a creative player's hand though. Not all the time, but sometimes. The QL though is only in regards to anti-magic

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”