Telekinesis errata

vaminion

Re: Telekinesis errata

Postby vaminion » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:15 am

Wakshani wrote:It's like having different levels of "Blow things up" spells, depending on the axiom, ultimately.

You can't compare move slow, move fast, move faster to choosing between a high powered sniper rifle, a petrol bomb, or a magical pistol.
Last edited by vaminion on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:33 am

vaminion wrote:
Wakshani wrote:It's like having different levels of "Blow things up" spells, depending on the axiom, ultimately.

You can't compare move slow, move fast, move faster to choosing between a high powered sniper rifle, a petrol bomb, or a magical pistol.

True, but you can compare it to the bullet spell, lightning bolt, and fireball.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:37 am

Wakshani wrote:True, but you can compare it to the bullet spell, lightning bolt, and fireball.

That's what I just did. In terms of pure damage and number of targets hit Lightning is almost identical to the Barret M82, Fireball is identical to a Petrol Bomb, and Bullet is identical to the Glock 9mm. My point is that each of those spells all have a niche. 3 TK spells that are all functionally identical except for Strength and Speed don't.

IMO the better divide would be:

Psionic Bullet - Just what it says. Psionics needs another no strings attack power anyway. Give it a fairly low axiom because it's raw, brute force. If necessary don't allow it to make called shots.

Levitate - Makes a horizontal platform of pure force that 1 person can stand on while you lift it up. Limit its speed to 4 or something else low, and have it so people can step on or off of it at will so it's useless as an attack spell.

Telekinesis - Bump it up to 24 so Pan Pacifica psycics have something that Core Earth doesn't besides Mend. Remove the height restriction but limit its pace to 1/2 the power's strength. If falling damage is still terrifying then hard code it so that you can't lift someone who's struggling.

Now you have 3 takes on telekinesis with with 3 different limitations but they are all unique.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:12 pm

vaminion wrote:
Wakshani wrote:True, but you can compare it to the bullet spell, lightning bolt, and fireball.

That's what I just did. In terms of pure damage and number of targets hit Lightning is almost identical to the Barret M82, Fireball is identical to a Petrol Bomb, and Bullet is identical to the Glock 9mm. My point is that each of those spells all have a niche. 3 TK spells that are all functionally identical except for Strength and Speed don't.

IMO the better divide would be:

Psionic Bullet - Just what it says. Psionics needs another no strings attack power anyway. Give it a fairly low axiom because it's raw, brute force. If necessary don't allow it to make called shots.

Levitate - Makes a horizontal platform of pure force that 1 person can stand on while you lift it up. Limit its speed to 4 or something else low, and have it so people can step on or off of it at will so it's useless as an attack spell.

Telekinesis - Bump it up to 24 so Pan Pacifica psycics have something that Core Earth doesn't besides Mend. Remove the height restriction but limit its pace to 1/2 the power's strength. If falling damage is still terrifying then hard code it so that you can't lift someone who's struggling.

Now you have 3 takes on telekinesis with with 3 different limitations but they are all unique.

That power listing makes total sense to me.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Wakshani wrote:
vaminion wrote:

vaminion wrote:That's what I just did. In terms of pure damage and number of targets hit Lightning is almost identical to the Barret M82, Fireball is identical to a Petrol Bomb, and Bullet is identical to the Glock 9mm. My point is that each of those spells all have a niche. 3 TK spells that are all functionally identical except for Strength and Speed don't.

I think comparing TK powers with different Axioms and power output is more like choosing from an Ayslish Wheel-lock, a .45 Colt Automatic, or a GWI GodMeeter.
The problem is, you can't persuade the Delphi Council to get a supply of high-Social TK, or knockout some local mooks to grab their TK...

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:11 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:
Wakshani wrote:
vaminion wrote:You can't compare move slow, move fast, move faster to choosing between a high powered sniper rifle, a petrol bomb, or a magical pistol.

vaminion wrote:That's what I just did. In terms of pure damage and number of targets hit Lightning is almost identical to the Barret M82, Fireball is identical to a Petrol Bomb, and Bullet is identical to the Glock 9mm. My point is that each of those spells all have a niche. 3 TK spells that are all functionally identical except for Strength and Speed don't.

I think comparing TK powers with different Axioms and power output is more like choosing from an Ayslish Wheel-lock, a .45 Colt Automatic, or a GWI GodMeeter.
The problem is, you can't persuade the Delphi Council to get a supply of high-Social TK, or knockout some local mooks to grab their TK...

.. and that is Tech's biggest power.

Giving 100 people AK's to fight a gospog is easier than teaching 100 people how to cast bullet.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 am

In part true.

The downside is that Gospog will pick up those guns and turn 'em on your people after the fight while the Bullet spells poof with the casters.

Darn undead! Being all rule-bendy! Harumph!

Harumph I sez.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Wakshani wrote:In part true.

The downside is that Gospog will pick up those guns and turn 'em on your people after the fight while the Bullet spells poof with the casters.

Harumph I sez.

Hopefully all the gospogs are dead(er) by that time.
Question everything.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 am

Harumph I sez.

That's an interesting idea! Gospog made from people with Bullet could also use Bullet, but you need a separate Gospog field for psychics-only.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

Istrian wrote:

Harumph I sez.

That's an interesting idea! Gospog made from people with Bullet could also use Bullet, but you need a separate Gospog field for psychics-only.

That's what 2nd planting+ is for. It would be interesting for Tharkold to say... because of slave experimentation in gospog research a gospog field is impregnated with the diluted brains of psychically active stormers so that a basic gospog 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th planting is this.???.but with a choice of x, y and z for special abilities to keep the SK on their toes.
Question everything.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”