Disconnecting while rolling for defeat

Kanaris

Disconnecting while rolling for defeat

Postby Kanaris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:44 pm

One of the characters in our group has a HardPlas LifeLock Backup System installed which will come into effect nearly every time they roll for Defeat. Cyberpapacy cybernetics are a contradiction everywhere else, so in many cases this will mean that when rolling for defeat the character will disconnect rolling a 1 - and not be able to use possibilities or cards (other than Second Chance). We're querying now whether this makes the implant more likely to cause death than avoid it. Is there a flaw in our logic?

utsukushi

Re: Disconnecting while rolling for defeat

Postby utsukushi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Well... you will pretty much always have two points of Wound Penalties when rolling for Defeat, so that means there are two numbers on the die by which you would have failed and died but that the Lifelock would make you succeed - and probably two more that it will give you a Good Success instead of Standard. Outstanding doesn't change much - that already requires either Possibility/card play or a reroll anyway.

And there's only the one number where you fail and Disconnect, and since it's a 1, which always fails and already disallows Possibilitiesto change that anyway, I don't think it's made things worse. Yeah. I think that's the `flaw in your logic'. A 1 is already an automatic failure that already can't really be fixed except with Second Chance; Disconnection is kind of irrelevant if that already means you died.

I could see that the Lifelock might be a risky choice for someone to get who isn't from the CyberPapacy, though. I don't think that's one I'd want to be a 4-case with.

Kanaris

Re: Disconnecting while rolling for defeat

Postby Kanaris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, I see it now. Core Rules 109 "A roll of 1 always fails, and no Possibilities may be spent to change it". I had thought that the "no possibilities" rule only applied to actual "Mishaps" and I couldn't see a Mishap as an event when rolling for defeat unless you could disconnect while rolling for it. Thanks!

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”