Torg Eternity Pacing

mathey

Torg Eternity Pacing

Postby mathey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Reviewing the recaps of my first campaign with Torg Eternity, I'm noting a bit of a shift in the length of our sessions, Scenes, Acts, and overall Adventures. We started out with a relatively brisk pace, completing an Act about once a session or every two sessions at most. With recent adventures, though, I've been hitting upwards of three sessions for a single Act, with a few of the more intense action/dramatic scenes stretching on for three or more hours.

I'm curious about the experience of other players - how long do your sessions run? How often do you end on an Act break, either by design or GM fiat? Do you think the number of players is a big factor in slowing things down? We went from two players to five over the course of the campaign's 40-odd sessions.

TorgHacker

Re: Torg Eternity Pacing

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:48 pm

mathey wrote:Reviewing the recaps of my first campaign with Torg Eternity, I'm noting a bit of a shift in the length of our sessions, Scenes, Acts, and overall Adventures. We started out with a relatively brisk pace, completing an Act about once a session or every two sessions at most. With recent adventures, though, I've been hitting upwards of three sessions for a single Act, with a few of the more intense action/dramatic scenes stretching on for three or more hours.

I'm curious about the experience of other players - how long do your sessions run? How often do you end on an Act break, either by design or GM fiat? Do you think the number of players is a big factor in slowing things down? We went from two players to five over the course of the campaign's 40-odd sessions.

Number of players would certainly have a pretty big impact. But also, players need to be willing to be liberal with spending Possibilities offensively, then gain them back with spending cosm cards. If they're not doing that, they're playing on hard mode, and yes while the heroes will win eventually it will take longer.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:49 pm

mathey wrote:Reviewing the recaps of my first campaign with Torg Eternity, I'm noting a bit of a shift in the length of our sessions, Scenes, Acts, and overall Adventures. We started out with a relatively brisk pace, completing an Act about once a session or every two sessions at most. With recent adventures, though, I've been hitting upwards of three sessions for a single Act, with a few of the more intense action/dramatic scenes stretching on for three or more hours.

going from 2 to 5 players probably changed things a lot. There's a lot more card play going around.

I have 5-7 players. Our sessions (on roll20) go about 3 hours and we and get about 1 scene done on average. That's pretty consistent since we started doing TE 2 years ago.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm

My sessions are usually 3-4 hours and I think if I lean back and think about it we're averaging 75% of an Act per session. There's been some where we do 1 Act in the session and then some other Acts take like 3 (as you said). Sometimes it can just be the Acts themselves though, some are definitively easier than others depending on the adventure. Large combats can also bog things down and make a simple Act much longer.

Act Four of Fires of Ra for example I thought was going to be done early until we got to the last Scene which involved 2 fights which almost took 2 sessions on their own.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:39 am

I'm also averaging 2-3 sessions per Act (3-4 hours per session), though it depends more on the content of the Act itself. Investigation / infiltration / exploration usually takes more time because players check their clues and decide which to follow. Action takes less because I shorten the fights when I think the players are sure to win.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:05 pm

When I ran the Delphi missions, we got through one mission/act in about 2 or 3 sessions (around 3 hours each).

With the Fires of Ra adventure it's taken a lot longer, maybe 4 or 5 sessions per act. My group don't like spending possibilities unless they want to make a big roll and it's been quite hard to change them of that idea. I think running in Nile slows things down with obstacle piling and additional fights.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”