Google map of Core Earth

Gargoyle

Google map of Core Earth

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

I've created a Google Map of Core Earth complete with the stelae boundaries, hardpoints, and bridges previewed so far, at day 90 of the war. This is just a fan created thing, not official, and something to help GM's with their Torg Eternity campaigns. I've endeavored to make it as complete and accurate as possible, any mistakes are my fault, just point them out and I'll attempt to fix. You can copy the map and modify it to suit your own campaign.
Last edited by Gargoyle on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

carldot34

Re: Google map of Core Earth

Postby carldot34 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Oh, I like that! Very useful!

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Looks great! If you want to put more detail in it, you can add world laws. Mixed zones would have both sets of world laws.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:53 am

Rabbitball wrote:Looks great! If you want to put more detail in it, you can add world laws. Mixed zones would have both sets of world laws.

Good suggestion, I think I will do that since it doesn't clutter anything up to have it in the description with the axioms.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:05 pm

I'll take "Things I Sure as Hell Wish We Had in 1990", Alex.

This is amazing. I could see having this as a living document for GMs to use while playing. Hell, it's fascinating that you can zoom in and see where things are in relation to the realms. For example, I zoomed in on Louisville, KY. If I were to place an adventure there, I could see where the city is divided into Core Earth and Living Land. I can actually zoom in and envision where the military are placing their defensive units. If Storm Knights were to infiltrate the Living Land side of Louisville, I could describe the streets that have now turned into lush, verdant valleys.

The only downside I would see is that a player could try to metagame and pinpoint where exactly a stelae is, but clever GMs would be intentionally vague on that. After all, the territory markings on the map are not nice, crisp lines. If I recall, the borders tended to flux a little as the storm fronts pulsed. Or at least that's what I imagined. These are two realities colliding, after all, and if the collision of mundane weather fronts are not sliced neatly, nearly would these.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Even if we do an official map, the qualification would be that the stelae locations are only approximate. They're a point on the map because they have to be, but if you need to move the stelae to a different position for story purposes, or if it's in a place that really doesn't make sense, then the GM can move it.

That's also why the distance limit between stelae is 'approximately 500 km'.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I'll take "Things I Sure as Hell Wish We Had in 1990", Alex.

This is amazing. I could see having this as a living document for GMs to use while playing.

This is exactly my intention for my campaign, and I felt like getting it done to the best of my ability and sharing it could help others in the Torg community...no reason to duplicate the work. I will certainly keep up with it and will likely create new versions of it when supplements appear, etc. I enjoy doing it.

Hell, it's fascinating that you can zoom in and see where things are in relation to the realms. For example, I zoomed in on Louisville, KY. If I were to place an adventure there, I could see where the city is divided into Core Earth and Living Land. I can actually zoom in and envision where the military are placing their defensive units. If Storm Knights were to infiltrate the Living Land side of Louisville, I could describe the streets that have now turned into lush, verdant valleys.

Sure the tactical implications are cool! My thinking was also long term, more strategic if you will; one thing my own campaigns lacked was a certain awareness by the players of the changing front lines. They didn't realize they were losing in some areas, and winning in others, so this is my attempt to help communicate how they are doing to my players, and encouraging them to take some initiative and make a difference in the overall war effort, and maybe to venture into places they haven't gone. (I'm looking at you Orrorsh).

The only downside I would see is that a player could try to metagame and pinpoint where exactly a stelae is, but clever GMs would be intentionally vague on that. After all, the territory markings on the map are not nice, crisp lines. If I recall, the borders tended to flux a little as the storm fronts pulsed. Or at least that's what I imagined. These are two realities colliding, after all, and if the collision of mundane weather fronts are not sliced neatly, nearly would these.

This is my thinking as well; the potential for metagaming or giving the player to much knowledge is there and I thought about that as I made it, but I anticipated the designers' decision that the stelae locations are approximate (wise!), because otherwise the military would easily destroy them. Also since you can copy the map easily and customize a map for players (or for your own use, or a different campaign), it's not really a problem unless a GM lets it become one. BTW: The stelae locations and boundaries are somewhat approximate anyway because the maps on the preview are low res, and it's possible I've made mistakes, and so I may adjust some of them if they prove later on to be off.
Last edited by Gargoyle on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:48 pm

I wonder how easy it would be to create a time-lapse map. I mean, one could just duplicate the map and enter new coordinates, but it might be neat to see how things were 3 and 6 months ago on the same map.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I wonder how easy it would be to create a time-lapse map. I mean, one could just duplicate the map and enter new coordinates, but it might be neat to see how things were 3 and 6 months ago on the same map.

No idea, might be do-able with layers and code, might be beyond my meager googlemap-fu. It would be interesting though.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

kolgrim

Postby kolgrim » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Thank you for doing this! What a great resource and a fantastic way to build excitement. Ok, yes, I'm rather excited.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”