Dinosaurs and Transformation

fougerec

Dinosaurs and Transformation

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am

So...over the last two games in the Living Land my group of players has sort of adopted a Triceratops. First game was all about the Charisma and Beast Riding, second game was all about the Connection card played by our Edeinos when the group needed something "tanky".

Now they want to bring him with them and to some extent I'm fine with it. He's like a pet for the Edeinos, which is fine. My question is - as an Ord would a dinosaur transform in Core Earth? I don't think there's anything inherently contradictory (aside from the millions of years of extinction and the differences between real world dinosaurs and LL ones)

PrinceEarwig

Re: Dinosaurs and Transformation

Postby PrinceEarwig » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 am

I don't see anything contradictory.
Its an animal that is living based on standard biology, no contradiction there.

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am

fougerec wrote:So...over the last two games in the Living Land my group of players has sort of adopted a Triceratops. First game was all about the Charisma and Beast Riding, second game was all about the Connection card played by our Edeinos when the group needed something "tanky".

Now they want to bring him with them and to some extent I'm fine with it. He's like a pet for the Edeinos, which is fine. My question is - as an Ord would a dinosaur transform in Core Earth? I don't think there's anything inherently contradictory (aside from the millions of years of extinction and the differences between real world dinosaurs and LL ones)

This was briefly discussed recently. The short answer: What do you want to happen (assuming you're the GM)? Living Land dinosaurs are larger and more diverse. If you want them to transform and conform to historical standards, cool. If not, also cool.

In my campaign I set the following rules:
1) Dinosaurs won't cross cosm barriers on their own. So, no stegosauruses wandering around the southwest.
2) When a stelae is yanked, the dinosaurs transform into core earth dinos.
3) Animal companions are treated as a part of the PC (since they paid for the perk).
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 am

mistervimes wrote:3) Animal companions are treated as a part of the PC (since they paid for the perk).

I debated allowing the Edeinos to take it as a Perk but then realized it runs into the same issue that was brought up on another thread. The Dino's not going to be present all the time (or close by). It's not a great Perk option at the point the PCs are at (where the average Perk is costing them 11 XP or more)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 pm

fougerec wrote:
mistervimes wrote:3) Animal companions are treated as a part of the PC (since they paid for the perk).

I debated allowing the Edeinos to take it as a Perk but then realized it runs into the same issue that was brought up on another thread. The Dino's not going to be present all the time (or close by). It's not a great Perk option at the point the PCs are at (where the average Perk is costing them 11 XP or more)

You could have the Delphi Council "adopt" it and make it a thing they can requisition.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

The cruel part of me was thinking an old yeller like situation where "tim" ends up somehow needing to be put down.

I like the DC council adoption idea though. I've assigned the team a DC handler for their ops in the area and can easily leave the triceratops with her when they go off someplace else.

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:41 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
fougerec wrote:

You could have the Delphi Council "adopt" it and make it a thing they can requisition.

"Operation: Dino Drop" is now a go!
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:48 pm

mistervimes wrote:2) When a stelae is yanked, the dinosaurs transform into core earth dinos.

This doesn't feel right to me. Per the Transformation section in the Core Rulebook:

Races found only in other cosms, including edeinos, elves, and dwarves, don’t change race if they transform, but they may become confused or crazed by the process. Elves

This is specifically referring to Ords so I think this would remain true for beasts.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 pm

FrankG wrote:
mistervimes wrote:2) When a stelae is yanked, the dinosaurs transform into core earth dinos.

This doesn't feel right to me. Per the Transformation section in the Core Rulebook:

Races found only in other cosms, including edeinos, elves, and dwarves, don’t change race if they transform, but they may become confused or crazed by the process. Elves

This is specifically referring to Ords so I think this would remain true for beasts.

And if it doesn't feel right, do what feels right to you. My thinking is that edeinos, elves, and dwarves don’t change race if they transform, but their cosm dependent Perks are a different case. The size and variations of the (kind of) dinosaurs are a result of the Living Land law of life, so, for my table, it makes sense for them to no longer conform to that law. Your mileage may vary.

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Ahh... that's a good argument mistervimes. That does make sense to me.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”