Comments on TDE Release Schedule

Eric USNA

Comments on TDE Release Schedule

Postby Eric USNA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am

Hey everyone,

I have deleted the old Dark Eye Upcoming Releases topic for two reasons:

1) There was an argument on that thread between users that was not in the spirit of these forums. Please refrain from personal attacks or characterizing the quality of someone else's response.

2) Because we are not able to guarantee specific release dates, that topic was a frequent sore spot for a number of fans. We understand this, but unfortunately there is only so much we can do about it. We are continually working to improve our process, but the truth is that we're just not yet where we would prefer to be. Until that happens, we are unable to adhere reliably to any public schedule, which means that it's best to not have one.

With that said, I can tell you that we are just waiting on confirmation about when Theater Knights III will arrive at the US warehouse so that we can preview it and prepare for selling it on our webstore. As soon as that happens, we expect to start counting down to the Aventuria Magic Kickstarter, which we are working on as we speak.

-Eric

Kernel Class

Re: Comments on TDE Release Schedule

Postby Kernel Class » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:33 am

I don't think 2) is a reason to delete a thread. I can understand point 1), but I didn't get the impression that the thread in general had become irretrievably hostile and it's not nice for us forum users to have our conversation and contributions deleted like that. For example, I had just taken some time to write the following post only 2 minutes before the thread was deleted:

TDE is not dead yet. But I'm pretty sure Ulisses is at least seriously thinking about pulling the plug at some point soon. I assume TDE just didn't generate the interest that Ulisses (and I) had hoped for and now the company has to evaluate whether it's worth continuing with TDE and how likely it is that it will get the necessary player numbers in the future.

The 2-year-and-growing delay between products coming out in German and in English can't be just down to logistic problems like a temporary staff shortage. If there was a healthy demand for TDE products and you were short on translation and layout staff, you would employ more people to close the gap, rather than risk the interest waning and customers changing to another system. If, on the other hand, you didn't have a big enough customer base (yet), you would keep investment low and accept bringing out your products more slowly. Maybe you would also bring a lot of your products to market via crowdfunding projects. That way, your investment is more secure and you can reboot interest in your product or at least get some information how big the interest in TDE still is.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am

To clarify #2 - The thread was increasingly irrelevant and needed to be closed anyway. The arguments made it so that I deleted it rather than just locking it.

-Eric

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Nice to read from you Eric :)

You should not let wait the fans so long, even if you do not have any specific news ;)

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:55 pm

All we need is a bit of transparency.

If the Dark Eye is not doing enough sales, I would still much rather know that things are slowing down or might not happen at all than hearing nothing for months and months on end.

So you cannot promise us some dates for releases, fine.

We are continually working to improve our process, but the truth is that we're just not yet where we would prefer to be.

So, what has improved? What is still outstanding and requires work?

Most fans will understand if they are allowed to hear about the challenges or problems.

Anyway, hopefully we hear something more this side of Christmas. :)

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Just a litle contribution from a french newbie here... but quite a veteran in Rpg activity .
I played RPG during Times when you could’nt expect a single contact with the people working on the game ... no internet and games in a foreign language (english ... and I’m french )

But now the Times are different... forum, crowdfunding, social networks... fabulous tools but also a source of responsabilities...

In our Times it’s a real problem to keep a community of fans without news... I know It’s not fair but It’s the reality... information on a regular basis is an absolute obligation.

The Dark Eye is a big collection game ... the rules and the organisation of this product is focalised on the « next supplement » logic. When you support a product created for a multi-book layer it’s normal to have exigence about the timing of the released...

So .... giving informations is a formal obligation ... even if there is bad news ... I hope this silence will be disrupted or at least explained.

DreadDomain

Postby DreadDomain » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 am

Eric USNA wrote:Hey everyone,

Hey Eric, It is good to have some news from you.
Eric USNA wrote:I have deleted the old Dark Eye Upcoming Releases topic for two reasons:

1) There was an argument on that thread between users that was not in the spirit of these forums. Please refrain from personal attacks or characterizing the quality of someone else's response.

Deleting the offending post would have sufficed I believe. Deleting the whole thread is unfortunate as it was the only place on this site where it discussed the Gencon panel which was the most up to date information we had up to now.

Eric USNA wrote:2) Because we are not able to guarantee specific release dates, that topic was a frequent sore spot for a number of fans. We understand this, but unfortunately there is only so much we can do about it. We are continually working to improve our process, but the truth is that we're just not yet where we would prefer to be. Until that happens, we are unable to adhere reliably to any public schedule, which means that it's best to not have one.

This need to be unpacked as you seem to be missing the most important point. It is less about having an accurate schedule revealed to the public and more about having regular communication and updates about what is happening. As an example, the "Current TDE/Aventuria release schedule (stickied, non-discussion)" thread is currently 2 years out of date. I would suggest that you use this thread (and the front page):

- to annouce the rough schedule for the next 12 months (assuming you can see that long, you might want to do that every 6 months instead). I am not talking here about a month by month release schedule but a high level plan ("Folks in 2019 we have pretty exciting plans! At this stage we are planning to pipeline the following xyz releases with possibly release abc going through a Kickstarter")

- update it regularly as things unfold; as you get a strong feeling they are just around the corner ("Guys, we are almost there. The abc kickstarter should lauch in the next month or so. Stay tuned") followed by 4 weeks later ("Folks, time flies and we are still trying to iron out a few details regarding the abc kickstarter but it's getting close. Maybe another 4 weeks").

It is not the lack of accuracy that is infuriating people. it's the silence. If you announce something you were damn sure would happen in the next month but it slips. No problem. Just keep us posted. Personally, I have no problem with a broad level 12 months plan and various updates of things that "might happen before the end of the year" as long as it is not plagued by over optimism.

Deciding not to annouce high level plans runs the risk of people believing nothing is happening, Ulisses has lost interest, the game is dead, let's move on to something else. By the way, don't beat yourself up too much. What you have annouced in May on the main page is still on track!

Eric USNA wrote:With that said, I can tell you that we are just waiting on confirmation about when Theater Knights III will arrive at the US warehouse so that we can preview it and prepare for selling it on our webstore. As soon as that happens, we expect to start counting down to the Aventuria Magic Kickstarter, which we are working on as we speak.

-Eric

Excellent! After the Gencon's panel, to me this is a follow up that is sufficient. It did not happen in September as you said but things are moving along. Great! Which leads to a question, if TKIII is about to arrive at the US Warehouse, does it mean the PDF could be available soonish (before the printed book is available)?

I trust the annoucements at Gencon are still valid with the pipeline consisting of (from memory):
- TKIII
- Magic Kickstarter including TKIV
- Albernia and Windhague (with I assume the ancillary releases, maps, adventures, armory, cards, etc...)
- Works of the Gods

Anyway, thanks for the updates!

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:46 am

Regular communication is definitely a goal. However, as always, I want to clear up any misconception that I have information I'm not giving you. The information I get goes directly to you within days of confirmation. Everything else is just too nebulous to report.

We are working to solidify our process so that things are more predictable, but as I said, we are not there yet.

And yes, all the things I said at Gen Con still hold true. But we don't have much MORE to say at the moment.

On your other question - we'll have a simultaneous release on the webstore and DriveThruRPG. Look for more information soon.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Eric USNA wrote:Regular communication is definitely a goal. However, as always, I want to clear up any misconception that I have information I'm not giving you. The information I get goes directly to you within days of confirmation. Everything else is just too nebulous to report.

That's not the point Eric ;)
Just post "Sorry guys, we have delays and I do not have any news for you, yet." And this every week, until there are news ;)

For me, and many others, "bad" news are better then none.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 am

You want weekly "there is no news" reports?

Let me think about that. It seems weird to fill up a forum thread with those. I might decide to create a specific place for that if people really do want it. In the meantime, you can always assume that the last thing I said remains true until I say otherwise.

Return to “Product Announcements”