[Homebrew] Necron Warrior

Ilias Bethomael

[Homebrew] Necron Warrior

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:29 am

Hi guys,

I need Necron Warriors for my forthcoming adventure. This is what I ended up hacking together:

Necron Warrior
Strength 4
Agility 2
Toughness 6
Initiative 4
Intellect 2
Willpower 2
Fellowship 1

Speed 5
Shock 8
Resolve 5
Soak 6
Conviction 2
Passive Awareness 2

Defence 3
Wounds 6
Resilience 9 (4)

Skills
Ballistic Skill 8, Weapon Skill 7, Focus 6, Base 4
Size
Normal
Keywords
Necrons, <Necron Dynasty>
Attacks
Gauss Flayer: 10+1ED damage, AP -1, Range: 40 meters, Salvo:2; Rapid fire (2), Brutal, Fractal-Edge Bajonet (counts as Mono-axe in melee, cudos to Soviet Conscript)
Fractal-Edge Bajonet: 8+3ED, AP -1, Penetrating(1)
Special Abilities
Soulless Automatons: immune to Intimidation and Persuasion Interaction Attacks, Necron Warriors are also Fearless
Resurrection Protocols: Each round a mob of Necrons regains one of its number as the destroyed Necrons slowly reassembles itself. Should the whole mob be destroyed at the end of any given combat round its reanimation protocols end and its emergency protocols are activated - all remains are teleported from the battlefield

The Necron Warrior's ability to self-repair is represented by its resilience, which includes 4 points of armor as indicated by the number in parentheses. The Resurrection Protocols represent the same ability beyond the decimation of the mob, to keep the bookkeeping to a minimum.

I am looking forward to your feedback on this one! What do you think? Too strong? Too meak? Enough uniqueness?
Last edited by Ilias Bethomael on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Courage and Honour!

Aenno

Re: [Homebrew] Necron Warrior

Postby Aenno » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:24 pm

What about Weapon Skill? AFAIK, Necron Warriors were able to fight in melee well.
Also: I'd add Deception to the list of Interaction Attacks Necrons are immune to, and add "Necron automatically passes any Fear test."
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Aenno wrote:What about Weapon Skill? AFAIK, Necron Warriors were able to fight in melee well.
Also: I'd add Deception to the list of Interaction Attacks Necrons are immune to, and add "Necron automatically passes any Fear test."

Thanks for the input!

Well, melee is something I considered to include as well, but then decided it is well covered with the Focus SKill of 6 in combination with the mono-axe (4+3ED, AP -1, Penetrating(1)). At higher Weapon Skill I had the impression, that with the mono-axe it would make Necron Warriors even more fearsome in CC than they are in ranged combat. Their attacks would be resolved at 8+3ED, Ap-1, penetrating(1) after all. Maybe Weapon Skill 7?

My take on Deception Interaction Attacks is, that it might include a ruse like pretending to be more numerous than the group realy are or something similar. I would think that Necrons might fall for that, but I can aslo see where you are coming from.

Actually, the current Codex Necrons says that Necron Warriors retain a glimmer of their former awareness of self and specifically states that therefore Necron Warriors are not fearless. Maybe, they should get the "Fearless" Talent in addition... it would not render them immune to Terror :)

I marked all the changes in red in the original post
Courage and Honour!

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Ilias Bethomael wrote:Actually, the current Codex Necrons says that Necron Warriors retain a glimmer of their former awareness of self and specifically states that therefore Necron Warriors are not fearless. Maybe, they should get the "Fearless" Talent in addition... it would not render them immune to Terror

If you're using latest Codex, I'd also add [Dynasty] keyword and looked to special rules (I never read latest Necron one, because I haven't need to use them yet, so I can't say if dynasties have some kind of special rules for them; but, looking at Tyranides, Eldars and Astra Militarum, I believe it's possible).

Ilias Bethomael wrote:My take on Deception Interaction Attacks is, that it might include a ruse like pretending to be more numerous than the group realy are or something similar. I would think that Necrons might fall for that, but I can aslo see where you are coming from.

I definitely use old-style Necrons (not because they were better as a lot of people believe, but because I never needed new ones), and in my opinion it's things Necron Lords would fall, but not Necron Warriors.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:37 am

Aenno wrote:
Ilias Bethomael wrote:.

If you're using latest Codex, I'd also add [Dynasty] keyword and looked to special rules (I never read latest Necron one, because I haven't need to use them yet, so I can't say if dynasties have some kind of special rules for them; but, looking at Tyranides, Eldars and Astra Militarum, I believe it's possible).

Ilias Bethomael wrote:.

I definitely use old-style Necrons (not because they were better as a lot of people believe, but because I never needed new ones), and in my opinion it's things Necron Lords would fall, but not Necron Warriors.

I like the "wackyness" of the new 'crons :)
Dynasties is a very good thought! :D
Courage and Honour!

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:09 am

Ilias Bethomael wrote:I like the "wackyness" of the new 'crons

So am I; but I believed it's Lord's thing, not warriors?

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:28 am

Aenno wrote: So am I; but I believed it's Lord's thing, not warriors?

The lords are the worst ^^

In my mind I have this picture of the implacable Necron Warriors marching relentlessly towards their objective, just to frustrate their lord's expectations with some sort of irritating reaction towards an unexpected development. But eventually the Necron Warriors always simply resume their mission as is their nature. Nevertheless, they have been distracted for a brief moment and forced the lord to reestablish control over them.

I am also not fond of disallowing all interaction attacks but Tech so as to not frustrate players that heir skills have become useless.
Courage and Honour!

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 am

Ilias Bethomael wrote:I am also not fond of disallowing all interaction attacks but Tech so as to not frustrate players that heir skills have become useless.

Tech, Athletics, Ballistic Skill (for Suppression Fire).
But, well, I'm ok with situation where players meet situation they can't simply solve by skill check; still, that's philosophies, and even if my wording itself implies "my playstyle is better and more intresting then yours" that's only because I prefer it.

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 am

Our group finally got around to face the Necrons last week and I was pleased at their performance. They were a challenging match for my tier 3 heroes, yet they weren't absoluetly devastating.

I felt like the dice pools were a bit too high though, so I reduced them on the fly. Here is what I ended up with:

Necron Warrior
Strength 4
Agility 2
Toughness 6
Initiative 4
Intellect 2
Willpower 2
Fellowship 1

Speed 5
Shock 8
Resolve 5
Soak 6
Conviction 2
Passive Awareness 2

Defence 3
Wounds 6
Resilience 9 (4)

Skills
Ballistic Skill 6, Weapon Skill 5, Focus 6, Base 4
Size
Normal
Keywords
Necrons, <Necron Dynasty>
Attacks
Gauss Flayer: 10+1ED damage, AP -1, Range: 40 meters, Salvo:2; Rapid fire (2), Brutal,Fractal-Edge Bajonet
Fractal-Edge Bajonet: 8+3ED, AP -1, Penetrating(1)
Special Abilities
Soulless Automatons: immune to Intimidation and Persuasion Interaction Attacks, Necron Warriors are also Fearless
Resurrection Protocols: Each round a mob of Necrons regains one of its number as the destroyed Necrons slowly reassembles itself. Should the whole mob be destroyed at the end of any given combat round its reanimation protocols end and its emergency protocols are activated - all remains are teleported from the battlefield

I ran them as Elites at Tier 3, so I did not have the chance to playtest the Resurrection Protocols. Will do so in the upcoming session.
Courage and Honour!

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (W&G)”