Beta Doesn't seam to be a big enough deal

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Beta Doesn't seam to be a big enough deal

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 am

Kuildeous wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Interestingly enough the Fires of Ra has 35 scenes or 7 acts. 1 XP a scene = 35 XP, 5 XP per act = 35 XP. Coincidence? Hmm..

Those darn Nile mathematicians and their synchronicity.

Ha ha ha!! You do wonder if they are influencing through the 4th wall.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 am

Kuildeous wrote:I wouldn't rule out variable-rate XP, but that gets dangerously close to merit-based XP, which I abhor.

Unfortunately Torg Eternity IS merit-based XP system, since players LOSE XP based on merit(permanent Injury, Orrorsh Corruption, Reality Storm Mishap, etc.)...

*And I loathe those "OK, then I die and get a better replacement" things(or, hard-to-avoid permanent damage caused by merit but cannot be cured by merit). Life as a Storm Knight isn't easy, but heroes shouldn't be disposable.
(I'm not against horrible "reward" fot villainous acts by heroes, but only when such acts are reasonably avoidable, and I'm concerned that TorgE Corruption system seems to be penalizing sheer bad luck, sometimes stealthily.)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:(I'm not against horrible "reward" fot villainous acts by heroes, but only when such acts are reasonably avoidable, and I'm concerned that TorgE Corruption system seems to be penalizing sheer bad luck, sometimes stealthily.)

Ideally if we're doing it right, Corruption tests only happen when you accept greater power.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:32 am

TorgHacker wrote:
QuarrelBlue wrote:(I'm not against horrible "reward" fot villainous acts by heroes, but only when such acts are reasonably avoidable, and I'm concerned that TorgE Corruption system seems to be penalizing sheer bad luck, sometimes stealthily.)

Ideally if we're doing it right, Corruption tests only happen when you accept greater power.

I agree with TH on the Corruption issue, if used correctly players won't be penalized without accepting the risk for the reward.

QuarrelBlue has a point, though, with Permanent Injury and Reality loss. For example, I was running a group for my youngest child, my oldest child, and his roommate. Partly to introduce them to some of the rules, and partly because they were crossing the English Channel, I had them encounter a weak Storm...the lowest Reality needed to roll a 10+ to clear it. 2 of the three rolled 1s on their checks...the Elf lost an Add (eq, 2xp) and the Ocultech Mage became a Cyber Mage; and that was the last time the Elf's player was available to play in the months before my youngest and I moved away.

I can certainly understand how useless it can make a player feel to have a 5% chance he was unable to avoid force him to choose between losing the character he wanted to play (Transformation) and watching his character stuck behind the rest of the party in XP for the rest of his career.

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 am

My house rule is that permanent losses are either "until the end of the next Act" (for something like a Reality add), or "until you work it out in the story" for something like a permanent injury.

I also let players re-calculate their characters' build XP at any time, as if they were building them from scratch. If they could have been built more efficiently, they get the extra XP they would have had and can spend it now.

That XP total is sacred for me.

Corruption on the other hand, is a completely different thing. You play with the dark, you get what you deserve. :twisted:

ryric

Postby ryric » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Our group has been playing regularly and we're well into Gamma, and even without special Gamma perks, the PCs are certifiable badasses. We just finished Fires of Ra (bumped in difficulty due to our level) and the crazy things our character can pull off is impressive. Making a difficulty 20 test is almost trivial, and getting a 30 generally only requires planning and careful card play. Heck, we have one PC was has played Martyr 4 times, and keeps returning either through Nile cosm cards or the Resurrection miracle from our Lanala priestess.

I mean, 200 xp is enough to have 6 or 7 good Perks, plus a 5 in nearly every skill you care about while also bumping a couple Attributes.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”