Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

utsukushi

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby utsukushi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm

OK, I had to go look, but I think I get it. You're not complaining about the part where it says they can only have three runes in existence at once -- it's the part that says Runemakers carry "one blank stone for each rune he knows." Those blank stones are arguably just rocks, so it's hard to justify the limit. I guess I would note that they it takes an hour to make such stones - the same amount of time it takes to carve a permanent rune, and a lot more than the five seconds it would take me to, like, pick up a small rock. And then it's only an Action to splash a temporary Rune onto one (so you can Multi-Action to cast a rune and then throw your stone in one round). That suggests to me that a lot of the enchanting is done ahead of time; they're prepped; charged with your personal magic, you just leave out that last piece so that you can shape it later. Kind of like Linchpins in the old ADRPG's Sorcery.

I see your point that this isn't totally spelled out in the description, but it still does seem pretty clear to me that that's what's happening. Making new "blank stones" takes that one hour and access to tools and rock; there is nothing to say you can't carry a bunch of rocks, just like you can carry your tools. But those rocks will still need an hour of work (precise carving and polishing and imbuing with power) to become blank runestones.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:03 am

It does beg the question, why would you every play a character with such limits when you could have the Spellcaster perk instead and cast spells as many times as you wanted. Alchemy has the same issues. At least a bulletsmith can have 6 bullets in existence!
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:19 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:It does beg the question, why would you every play a character with such limits when you could have the Spellcaster perk instead and cast spells as many times as you wanted. Alchemy has the same issues. At least a bulletsmith can have 6 bullets in existence!

Because you want to provide tailored item enchants to the party for free, and sometimes throw some magic bombs around and also be capable of doing other stuff.

Spellcasting can be a big investment if you go whole hog, with two attributes, four skills, and lots of available perks. Alchemy and Runemaker are smaller in scope - you only ever need one skill, plus a combat skill, and the one feat. And they have some different effects that can't be replicated with spells.

But more broadly, why be a non-Aysle wizard, or a non-Tharkold psion, or a non-Cyberpapacy tech user when those are "the best"? Because different options have different flavors.

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 am

Spatula wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:It does beg the question, why would you every play a character with such limits when you could have the Spellcaster perk instead and cast spells as many times as you wanted. Alchemy has the same issues. At least a bulletsmith can have 6 bullets in existence!

Because you want to provide tailored item enchants to the party for free, and sometimes throw some magic bombs around and also be capable of doing other stuff.

Spellcasting can be a big investment if you go whole hog, with two attributes, four skills, and lots of available perks. Alchemy and Runemaker are smaller in scope - you only ever need one skill, plus a combat skill, and the one feat. And they have some different effects that can't be replicated with spells.

But more broadly, why be a non-Aysle wizard, or a non-Tharkold psion, or a non-Cyberpapacy tech user when those are "the best"? Because different options have different flavors.

As with all characters there is the soft intersection of "the cool things you want to do" with "mechanical efficiency". Something doesn't have to be bleeding edge efficient to be fun or playable. But there is a line past which it feels like you are being punished for pursing your concept/utilizing a given mechanic. Where that line is is different for everyone, and it feels like that line (for rune smithing) is what's being explored here.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 pm

The Runemaker perk has a star (is contradictory). Are weapons & armor etched with permanent runes also contradictory?

Runed items have a magic axiom of 14. Does that interact with existing enchantments at all? Like if you runed an Enchanted weapon, would it become Arcane?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Graethynne, I do think they took that into account in balancing them. Like, the Fire Rune, or Demons Breath potion, create what is effectively a Fireball, but do 16 points of damage, where the spell does a paltry 14. An Elixir of Enhancement gives an automatic Good Success relative to the more easily reusable Powers. And as Spatula said, they also open up some straight up unique options, like the Rune of Light being able to give +2 damage vs Supernatural Evil, or +2 Armor against them. That's pretty cool, and offhand I don't think anybody else can do that.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Spatula wrote:The Runemaker perk has a star (is contradictory). Are weapons & armor etched with permanent runes also contradictory?

Runed items have a magic axiom of 14. Does that interact with existing enchantments at all? Like if you runed an Enchanted weapon, would it become Arcane?

It does not interact with existing enchantments (or future ones). Essentially it's a "special kind" of enchantment.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Spatula wrote:The Runemaker perk has a star (is contradictory). Are weapons & armor etched with permanent runes also contradictory?

It does not interact with existing enchantments (or future ones). Essentially it's a "special kind" of enchantment.

Related: May an Enchanted weapon have a Rune placed on it?
May a Runed item be Enchanted?

if the effects are similar (For instance, a damage boost) do they stack or just take the higher of the two?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:48 am

Wakshani wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:

Related: May an Enchanted weapon have a Rune placed on it?
May a Runed item be Enchanted?

if the effects are similar (For instance, a damage boost) do they stack or just take the higher of the two?

Yes, but as usual, bonuses do not stack.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:06 am

Odd question time: How long was Uthorian in control of Ardinay? A year? Ten years? A century?

Does he still have control over the Darkness Device or is it still keyed to her and, thus, out of his control?

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”