Google map of Core Earth

Doc Gordon

Re: Google map of Core Earth

Postby Doc Gordon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:06 pm

First, understand that I get the amount of hard work that was put into this map, and I do appreciate it. I am honestly NOT trying to bomb on anything that's been done.

Second, I had forgotten about Mercator Effect altogether. That likely explains the differences. On a flat earth map, even on Google Maps, in the England Zone, Aysle Stelae 1 to Stelae 3 shows as 318 miles, but with Mercator Effect and the fact the distances are described as approximately 500km/300mi that covers quite a bit of that explanation.

Now, being honest, how much did you guys actually take into account Mercator Effect and, beyond that, your approximate distances? :D

Third, I only ask these things because I'm curious and, being in aviation, I've had to deal with precise figures all my life, and it drives me crazy when I see something off. For example, when hanging pictures on a wall, I can tell you when one side is lower than the other, in millimeters AND degrees. It's a curse, sometimes.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm

If you use the measurement tool in Google Maps/My Maps, it gives you the actual distance. You don't have to factor the Mercator effect yourself, it already does it.

For instance, using the measurement tool in My Maps, Aysle Stela 1 to Aysle Stela 3 comes out between 465-470 km, depending on how zoomed in I am and thus how precise my point placement is.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Mike McCall wrote:If you use the measurement tool in Google Maps/My Maps, it gives you the actual distance. You don't have to factor the Mercator effect yourself, it already does it.

For instance, using the measurement tool in My Maps, Aysle Stela 1 to Aysle Stela 3 comes out between 465-470 km, depending on how zoomed in I am and thus how precise my point placement is.

This. I've peppered @TorgHacker with questions about the maps when I created mine, and trust me, he knows all about this, and as he said, there may be human errors, but I have confidence he was pretty accurate placing these. Also remember that the stelae locations are approximate. I would also suspect that Darkness Devices could break the rules about it being a maximum of 500km if they spent more energy. That's what Darkness Devices do, they break the rules, and I think it's fine if something is off now and then as long as the layout makes dramatic sense. So if your suspension of disbelief is at risk over the 500km 'rule' I would just suggest not worrying about it so much. Best anyway if the designers spend their time doing other things than worrying about such things.

Also, I'll say I've spent countless hours reverse engineering his maps with mine, and even though I found it fun most of the time, I'm glad they decided to release the official one. Even with the measurement tool, it's tough to get it right when you copy a low res website image, and it's nice to have the official map. Mine is the one that probably has multiple errors, I know I've corrected dozens of them, it's harder to reverse engineer ones of these stelae maps than it is to just create one.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Doc Gordon wrote:First, understand that I get the amount of hard work that was put into this map, and I do appreciate it. I am honestly NOT trying to bomb on anything that's been done.

No worries. Didn't take it that way. :-)

Second, I had forgotten about Mercator Effect altogether. That likely explains the differences. On a flat earth map, even on Google Maps, in the England Zone, Aysle Stelae 1 to Stelae 3 shows as 318 miles, but with Mercator Effect and the fact the distances are described as approximately 500km/300mi that covers quite a bit of that explanation.

Now, being honest, how much did you guys actually take into account Mercator Effect and, beyond that, your approximate distances? :D

I used the Google Maps distance tool to place a stela approximately, and then used that and the distance tool to check to see if there were stelae farther than 500 km. It's also important to make sure there aren't stelae that are _too_ close, that should connect when we didn't want them too (looking at the Nile Empire Year One map).

I usually was more conservative than I actually needed to be. Can't say 100% that there aren't a handful that might be slightly longer than 500km, but I would say all of them are within 510 km.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Also, the exact, precise location of a stela was never really a concern, except ... one time I think.

I put an Orrorsh one right at the summit of Mount Everest.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Also, the exact, precise location of a stela was never really a concern, except ... one time I think.

LOL.

Well, I do thank you for clearing that up, Dean. I honestly do appreciate it. To all others in the conversation, thank you so much for helping to clear this up for me. It's awesome to know I'm finally part of a community that's not going to lambast me for asking a question; that level of fanaticism is great... when EVERYONE is that level of fanatic. It's not so great when I run into a wall of screamers who are not only unwilling to help, but would rather find me, disembowel me, and hang me on a post in the Living Land, than to actually help me the way all of you have. :)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Also, the exact, precise location of a stela was never really a concern, except ... one time I think.

This amuses me because I have literally spent hours guessing at your intentions for the placement of some of these stelae. I came to some interesting, but incorrect assumptions, for instance, that stelae in the Cyberpapacy were in Cathedrals, that the ones in the Living Land were in parks or national forests, and that Tharkold stelae were usually in either fast food restaurants or hospitals (both of which may be indistinguishable to Tharkoldu demons).
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I put an Orrorsh one right at the summit of Mount Everest.

Oh man, that would be such an amazing adventure — climb to the top of Everest to pull up a stelae...

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:35 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:I put an Orrorsh one right at the summit of Mount Everest.

Oh man, that would be such an amazing adventure — climb to the top of Everest to pull up a stelae...

Have you seen the demotiviational poster that says that every corpse on Mt. Everest was once a motivated individual?

Well, guess what they're up to now under Orrorsh reality.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

<takes notes>
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”